I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

specialty steelhead blank (s)
Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2008 12:13AM

hello

I am in need of a steelhead blank in the 6-12lb test range, 8'6" blank length range, sensitive and capable of casting lighter weights such as 1/8 or even 1/16oz. The finished rod will be used for casting jigs for steelhead. I use lighter jigs that fall slowly in the cold clear waters of winter.

The biggest problem is that I cannot find all four attributes that I need in one blank.

I don't want to downsize in blank length because I need the extra length for the hookset, rivers tend to put more bow in the line and thus make hook setting more difficult, also the length helps me steer fish around during the fight better, more control. I found a blank in the St.Croix avid line up but its lure rating is too heavy for what Im casting, its too bad because I am a fan of their product.

I thought about trying a slower action avid 8wt fly rod, the more flexible tip should let me cast lighter weights, at least I think it would. The biggest problem for me is that I would void the warranty, otherwise this might have worked.

I also toyed with the idea of replacing the tip section of a 8'6" medium power avid steelhead blank with a more flexible lighter action tip, but I'm not sure if this is possible or how to even attempt something like this, pure dreaming on my part.

so what I need is a weird combination of fish fighting power, sensitivity but the ability to cast very light weights.

any ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 10:14PM by jason vandeusen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: specialty steelhead blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.203.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 12:50AM

Take a look at the Batson site. I would bet they have some thing to fit what your looking for. I am thinking fly rod blank. 3-4 weight. Maybe glass.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2008 12:51AM

St Croix SCIII model #3SC90MLF2. It should fit the bill just fine. The extra six inches should help, not hurt, according to your description of intent.

Posted by: Kyle Olsen (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 10:11AM

Lamiglas used to make a blank that fit that description, the XSH1022L. It was an 8'6", 6-10, 1/4-1/2oz rated blank. Unfortunately, they haven't been made in a few years and I don't know if anyone has one in stock these days. Talon also(supposedly) makes an 8'6" 6-10 blank. I don't know for sure where to buy one, I think Angler's Workshop would be a good starting point, as Talon makes their house brand steelhead blanks.

I don't think you'll find many steelhead blanks in that power rated down to 1/8oz, but most that are rated to cast 1/4oz will do the trick. I assume you'll be building this as a spinning rod?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 23, 2008 10:19AM

The one power 9 1/2 ft steelhead blanks and maybe the 1142 Batson will throw those weight as the tips are more than flexible enough, Your real problem will be your line and reel performing to your specifications. A big spool reel like a US Reel or a 4000 sized reel with soft / small diameter line will help here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2008 10:26AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 10:48AM

I agree with Spencer. The SH series Forecast blanks have soft tips and are extremely fast action as well as being durable. Based on two SH 1084's I have built and used I believe a SH 1081-2 or an 1141-2 would come close to your need. A 125 lb Salmon Shark was landed on one of the 1084's I put together and the other rod has taken several steelhead from shore on the upper reaches of Idahos Salmon River where swift currents make landing fish a major problem.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 11:47AM

Personally I’m a huge fan of the IST1082. I run Ten pound main and 6-8# leaders with great results. Just enough back bone for larger fish and perfect flex for holding light line. We also have the IST1081 if you really need to go light. Both models have decent power in the lower end for turning fish.

Rod Blank Model # IST1082 SPIN
Butt cap: EVABC20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RGS12A-350
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GSTG17C-TC THIS SEAT IS JUST A BIT LARGE BUT I LIKE THE FIT BETTER THE 16 WOULD WORK
Reel Seat Shim SHIM/17/SPIN
Foregrip: FG25A-250
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top LTCPUT06F05.0
1st guide from tip top LTCFUG06
2nd guide from tip top LTCFUG06
3rd guide from tip top LTCFUG06
4th guide from tip top LTCFUG07
5th guide from tip top: LTCFUG07
6th guide from tip top: LTCFUG08
7th guide from tip top: LTCVSUG10
8th guide from tip top: LTCVSUG16
9th guide from tip top: LTCVSUG25
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4-9-14.5-20.5-27-34-43-53-67

Rod Blank Model # IST1081
Butt cap: EVABC20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RGS12A-350
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GSTG17C-TC
Reel Seat Shim SHIM/17/SPIN
Foregrip: FG25A-250
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPZT06F04.5
1st guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
2nd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
3rd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
4th guide from tip top XPTCFZG07
5th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG07
6th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG08
7th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG10
8th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG16
9th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG25
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4-9-14.5-20.5-27-34-43-53-67

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 01:29PM

The following may be of interest to you:

Lamiglas
9', 6 - 10, 1/8-1/2, Graphite, G1000 Steelhead, Salmon & Saltwater Spinning GSH 108 2L, 2
9', 6 - 10, 1/8-1/2, Graphite, Rogue River Salmon & Steelhead, RR 108 2ML, 2

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2008 05:41PM

I would check with Talon rods They have some specialty blanks for steelhead.

Date: December 23, 2008 10:13PM

Thanks for the replies all, looks like I have some deciding to do.

This rod will be built as a spinning rod and yes I have a US reel supercaster reel to go on it when its finished. I am very happy with that reel after field testing for steelhead. I was casting small light float rigs on 6lb one day and then large jerkbaits on 10lb the next.

Re: specialty steelhead blank (s)
Date: December 23, 2008 10:21PM

I have yet another specialty need for a steelhead blank and that is a crankbait blank that is moderate in action yet longer than 7ft and two piece. I like to cast crankbaits for steelies while I drift in my boat, I have been using a fast action rod and my hookup rate has been absolutely pathetic. The rod I was using was a wild river sc2 8'6" medium power spinning rod, again fast action.

I have been looking at the shorter moderate acton bass crankbait blanks but am unsure about the one peice and shorter lengths.

is anything else out there? any thoughts on this.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2008 11:03PM

8'0" popping blanks ... Batson has them in one-piece AND two-piece designs. They are mod-fast, light and durable. Here you go ... [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Call Bob at Custom Tackle. He sells quite a lot of the Rainshadow popping blanks and knows the lineup very well.

Posted by: joseph arvay (75.206.116.---)
Date: December 24, 2008 03:14AM

Jason, the Avid 8 wt idea is pretty darn good for your purposes and it will handle the lure weights very nicely. I actually have/use a spinning rod built on an Avid 8wt/9' blank and it works for both the fish fighting and the fishing. With 6-12lb test, you'll want to stay around the 8wt area, though you could go with a 6wt/7wt on the lower end of line test. Drop much below that and it's panfish territory for all practical purposes, flyrod blanks are like that.

These blanks will throw light offerings a country mile when built well so don't get worried about the tip flex being adequate, it's there! Lots of swing length as well, might be what's really going on as I can throw weightless plastics much farther than needed for bass fishing. It's the 8wt butt section that gives you a nice "foundation" to use the the rest of the rod to your advantage when fighting larger fish and protecting line, go too light and you lose that attribute. Some limited experience with what's called "steelhead blanks" and I prefer to build on the flyrod blanks because they fish better in hand.

Heck with the warranty worries...build it, fish it, build another just in case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster