I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replacement Power wraper chuck
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 07:42PM

I had to move this back up to the top ---- Has anyone actually measured / mounted either the Penn State Industries or Taig chuck to the Pack Bay wrapper (replaced the "upgraded chuck")?

======================================

Re: Replacement power wrapper chuck
Date: December 21, 2008 10:23AM

So - does PSI or Taig fit the shaft of the Pac Bay upgraded rod support? Frankly I'm just too lazy to take the chuck off my lathe

=============================================

Re: Replacement power wrapper chuck
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 11:10AM

"Inquiring minds want to know" I'm waiting to hear also. Thank You to the Person who answers

Options: Reply•Quote•Follow Topic•Report

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacement Power wraper chuck
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 07:56PM

Ken the only way your going to know what size shaft you have is to take the chuck off.
There are several different size shafts out there. I have never had a Pac Bay wrapper so I can't tell you what size shaft it has, and that could change from model to model and year to year.

Date: December 22, 2008 08:51PM

Yeah, kinda what I thought - the Pac Bay wrapper I have (with the heavier chuck support) doesn't look like 3/4 inch diameter ... I'll overcome laziness over the holidays then start looking for a chuck / or an adapter to get it to the proper diameter.

Date: December 22, 2008 09:14PM

Stubborness overcame laziness. The shaft on the Pac Bay is 1/2 inch - not sure what the threads are and it's too late to wander off to the hardware store tonight.

Date: December 22, 2008 09:20PM

Thank You Ken!

Date: December 22, 2008 09:56PM

Barry,
I'm going to have to educate myself about lathe chuck mounting. The closest I could find are sold by "The little machine shop". One is a three jaw and the other is a four jaw (both are self adjusting) - but the rub is that the through hole is larger than 1/2" (at 16mm) and apparently a smooth bore (not threaded) which sounds to me like a sleeve would have to be manufactured (machined) or a backplate purchased. The short of this seems to be 'none available' unless I'm totally missing the concept. I think we may be back to hoping Back Lash tools can come up with something. I'll keep digging but I have some rods to get done for Christmas.
Ken

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 01:07AM

Barry,
If the pac bay shaft is 1/2 inch, it is quite likely that the shaft size is 1/2 X 20 threads per inch.

The Little Machine shop has a back plate with a threaded 1/2 X 20 threaded hole which will fit their standard chuck. (#2022)

The three Jaw 3 inch chuck # 1187 works very well for rod building.

I have this exact combination on one of my older lathes with a smaller shaft and it is an excellent setup.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: December 23, 2008 07:40AM

A threaded adaptor is easy to make---take 3/4 x 16 bolt, drill a hole in it and thread it for 1/2--makes the Taig chuck look like a factory fit.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 06:38PM

Doug,
It is easy if you have a lathe to get everything square.
It is a good idea to make, or have made, an adapter for the chuck.
If you don't have a lathe yourself, just ask a near by machine shop to make an adapter.
Bring in the chuck and head stock from the lathe to be sure that the shop gets a perfect fit.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: December 24, 2008 06:05AM

It might be cheaper just to have a new shaft made with the correct threads. Cutting threads on a lathe is a slow process. Anyone know if you can take the headstock apart without messing it up ?

Date: December 25, 2008 05:49PM

Ken; How do you get the Pac-Bay apart? Going to order that Chuck from the "Little Machine Shop"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster