I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scratches on the butt wrap finish
Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: December 22, 2008 01:43PM

Is there a way to rub out scratches on the finish of a butt wrap? I just completed a rod last night and left it in the dryer overnight. Since it was -11 overnight and not being an energy waster I had the house down to 60 deg and the finish didn't quite get hard. It still felt a bit "soft". Then I noticed a couple of scratches in the finish that somehow became apparent. Do I need to refinish the area again or is there another way to remove them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scratches on the butt wrap finish
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 02:02PM

You can sand them with 1200-2000 grit wet paper once cured and buff them out. BUT, you'll never get the glossy shine completely back the way it was, you're better off re-coating.

DR

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 03:02PM

DEpending on how bad teh scratches ar, and who the rod is for - it mght not even be worth teh hassle of recoating. If you feel it's neccesary to recoat, then just put anotehr coat of finish on. No need to sand them, the next coat will cover them up. Of course depending on what is meant by scratches.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 22, 2008 05:12PM

I'd follow Billy's advise and just put another coat of finish over it. I've had to do this a few times and it worked out each time. I used Perma Gloss once over TM and it hid the scratches just as well as TM over TM or FC high build over FC high build.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.203.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 12:55AM

Billys right. Recoat and don't touch for a day at least. Then it will not really be fully dry for about three days.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2008 01:29AM

p.s.
Turn up the heat - where your dryer is to 70 or 75 at least and you will get a quicker cure.
If you have it in a separate room, just bring in a small electric space heater to keep the room warm.
That is exactly why many folks and shops have rod dryer - ovens. i.e. boxes containing the dryer along with light bulbs or other sources of heat, to be able to bring up the heat and hold it at a 70-90 degree temp - depending on need and design.
The ovens also have the advantage of keeping any floating dust or other issues away from the rod during its cure.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 23, 2008 11:36AM

That's great advise from Roger. I move my dryer into the kitchen during the winter and put a small heater near it for the first few hours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster