I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

It never happens to me, until-
Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 09:14PM

My issue of Rodmaker came in mid-week. The first night I went down in the shop and cobbled together a rod rescue device of my own, pretty close to the one in the article. Put it in my 'loaner" rod and went to bed.

Dad-in-law called this morning, wanting to try fishing a local pond since the weather was warm enough through mid-day. Sure enough, on the second cast he stumbled and tossed the rod and reel in the drink. But! It was the loaner rod I put the rescue device in. Not having had time to test it I got worried after about ten minutes. Dad-in-law kept saying "what are you looking for, it's gone!" I told him that inside was a rescue device and we would see the marker any time. But I was beginning to have doubts!

Long story short, it took about fifteen minutes but we saw the float up and on top of the water about forty feet away. Trolled over and retrieved it and saved a couple hundred dollar outfit. Dad-in-law was impressed. He never even knew the rod was equipped with such a thing because it was hidden inside the rod. Needless to say I am going to work on this device and offer it as a selling point to my customers. Score- custom rod builders 1, factory rods 0!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It never happens to me, until-
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2008 09:05AM

As the article stated, due to the great differences in rod blank diameters, it's best to thoroughly test your device before putting absolute trust in it. Glad yours worked, of course, but any future ones you make really need at least one good test before you get too confident (take the reel off and just dunk the rod).

The idea came out of a desire to help the guys building rods for kayak fishing, a sport where tossing a rod overboard is fairly likely at some point. The idea of tethers and leashes never appealed to me but an hidden internal device did. I think this is another area where custom builders can offer their customers something that the commercial rod manufacturers cannot.

Make sure you read Charlie Smoot's ideas in the sidebar - he's been working on similar devices for a while now.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 09:41AM

very nice - but, as soon as it goes over well, just like the micro guides, the factories will grab it and run. I would not be surprised to see micros and that device on factory rods next year.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 10:09AM

Bill might be right, but we're dealing with different target markets. Either we're ahead of the game for a while, or we're at least offering what they finally catch up to. Either way, it's an extra-cost feature we can use as a selling point.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.riv12.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 22, 2008 10:21AM

Re rods going overboard, Okuma have their Baidarka kayak rods that according to their blurb floats even with a "large overhead reel attached". Has anyone tried making rod that flat like this? I wonder how much floatation needs to be built into a 5' jigging/trolling rod wearing a trinidad 16 and if its the combination of the sealed blank and grip materials that makes it happen

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2008 10:37AM

The problem with trying to make a "floating rod" is that you're almost certain to have to alter the rod in such a way that you affect how it fishes. Anything that you add to make the rod float is likely to be somewhat obtrusive.

Even the commercial rescue devices that we've talked about on this forum over the last few years had to be added to the outside of the rod, where they may possibly snag a line or get knocked off.

What I have always sought is something that wouldn't change the performance of the rod or require the fisherman to "give something to get something." Something that is totally out of sight and mind, until needed. We've done it.

The device in RodMaker can't be seen, can't be felt and the user doesn't even know it's there - unless he or she tosses it overboard. The amount of weight added to the rod is less than a 1/4 of an ounce and that weight is at the extreme butt end of the rod where it does the least harm and may even help with rod balance, if you're interested in that type of thing.

As the article stated, this isn't the last word in rod rescue devices. And it may well be that the RodMaker device can be improved upon. The thing I wanted to do was get the idea out there with a working version of such a device and then see where others could take it. Custom rod builders could have a real leg up on an important rod accessory with something like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 10:51AM by Tom Kirkman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster