I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Socks
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 21, 2008 07:53PM

What do you all think about using rod socks? Are they necessary? I was going to order some from Acid rod, but it would add up pretty quick at 9.50 each. Once I realized that I could not afford to buy one for each of my rods I build from Acid rod I thought that I would buy at least one and then see how it is made and buy similar materials and sew myself a couple. But then I realized I could just ask you guys what you guys use for rod socks or how you make them/ where you get them and even if they are necessary at all. I realize it seems like I am jumping the gun on this since I don't really need them yet but it takes me a while to sew something so I need to know in advance. Once again I would appreciate any help you all are willing to offer up. Thanks
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Socks
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 10:49PM

Check w/Swifty Mfg. They can make you some, to your spec, and I think they may be less expensive.

We incklude a rod sock with every new rod. It's built-in to the price of the rod. It has our logo, and generally matched the length of the rod as long as it (or the sections of a multi-piece rod) are under 7'. We had our current stock made for us by a guy who was starting out in the screen printing business; we supplied the socks which we got for $1/ea. Total price to us after printing was $5/ea. Now, though, the guy has gotten bigger and no longer has time for any order under $1,000.

So our next order will come from Swifty.

However, I think the $9.95 bags are fine, as long as you are not producing many rods and you don't want your logo on them.

A lot of people will tell you these are a waste of time (although not the folks dealing in bamboo) but we think they represent a bit of additional advertising and our customers have learned to ask for them. People will tell you that most anglers throw them away or lose them but most of our customers tell us they still have them and use them for transporting our rods. Can't argue with that, so we'll keep doing it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 11:55PM

A lot of people won't use them. As soon as they put the reel on the rod the sock is discarded
and the reel is almost never removed. They toss the rod into the back of the truck and
off they go.

I try to include a sock & sometimes a tube with every rod I build and implore the recipient
to USE THEM! Especially on the higher modulas rods. However, you can lead a horse to
water but you can't make them drink.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2008 12:14AM

I make my own. I use a good quality fleece material from a local fabric shop and make it so that it can be used with the reel on the rod. I sew in shoe strings for tie-ups and everyone seems to like them. They are nothing fancy, but like Raymod said, sure most just toss them after a few uses. Probably have a couple of dollars in each one.

Eddie

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 01:20AM

James,
Rod socks do work and are a nice tool to have.
I do believe that a person needs a couple different styles.
One - if moving a rod, without a reel, to have a sock that is full length to enclose and protect the rod.
Two - a rod sock that is only long enough to cover all of the guides plus about 2 inches, and a piece of elastic on the large end to snap over the reel.
This style will allow you to easily use the sock to prevent line and guide tangles.
I also like a sock that is made of light semi stiff nylon material. The light stiff material allows the rod to be easily inserted, without having to worry about getting folds and wrinkles out of the sock to insert the rod.

Depending on the price of fabric, a sock can be made for prices ranging from about 25 cents to several dollars.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 09:26AM

I use McCoy rod shields, similar to the stick jacket. It is a woven plastic web material similar to a Chinese Finger Trap. THey work great. They only cover from the front of the reel to the tip. I initially used them to help protect my rods when I put them in and out of my rodlocker in my boat. Now I include them with all of my rods.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 10:06AM

To be honest I never thought about transporting a rod after the fishing day with the reel on, but you're right. A sort of "short" sock might be an even better solution. As for cost, I still think it should just be included in the price of the rod. It makes for anice presentation at dilivery, too.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 22, 2008 10:28AM

I've tried cloth & nylon bags. They might be ok for a fly rod in a tube, but for my style of bass & walleye fishing they stink. Stick Jackets are ideal!!!

Date: December 22, 2008 05:23PM

Great info everyone and I would not discard, I always store and transport to and from the lake with the reel off and in a hard case. However I think that you are right Roger. A couple different styles is a good idea because I would need one to cover the reel to because I do not take the reel seat off of the rods when I am just moving to the other side of the lake or something. Thank you all for your input.
James

Date: December 22, 2008 05:24PM

Great info everyone and I would not discard, I always store and transport to and from the lake with the reel off and in a hard case. However I think that you are right Roger. A couple different styles is a good idea because I would need one to cover the reel to because I do not take the reel seat off of the rods when I am just moving to the other side of the lake or something. Thank you all for your input. And Roger I just tried to e-mail you but your e-mail is hidden and would like to ask you what you use and how you make them, especially for .25 cents or a couple bucks, exactly what I need. I would appreciate it if you would e-mail me.
James

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster