I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP froze!!
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 21, 2008 03:02PM

My Chromaseal CP just arrived and when I got it out of the mail box it was frozen solid. Is this going to ruin the CP? I looked on the bottle for it to say something like don't let it freeze or don't let it get above a certain degree F. I am attempting to defrost it now, but I don't want to ruin my first rod with CP that doesn't work. Or is there something I should do to treat it now? Any thoughts?
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP froze!!
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 03:15PM

Just warm it up by setting in a pan of warm water for awhile. Once returned to the liquid state, it will be fine.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 03:17PM

James Make sure you mix it very well. Scott

Date: December 21, 2008 03:55PM

Wheehw!! or however you spell a sigh of relief. I was so worried that it would be no good and I would have to order another bottle. Thank you guys and I have it in a warm pan of water right now and I will mix the heck out of it before I use it. Thanks again guys.
James

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2008 05:17PM

I don't know what the make up of the Chromaseal is. Many acrylic CP's are ruined once frozen.

If you can get yours to thaw, you may be fine. If you find that even after a period in some warmth that you have a lump of "rubber" in the bottle, it's toast.

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 05:40PM

Most water based finishes like latex paints are ruined by freezing. You should apply some to a scrap practice wrap to see if it will dry before using on a good wrap.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 06:00PM

Call the people from where you got it from and check to make sure. I don't know wether your can still contact Andy Dear ( Lamar Fishing. on the left ) or not. He is the one that developed Chromaseal.

Date: December 21, 2008 06:08PM

Well, you guys are right. It is toast. Feels like silicone caulking once it is dry. there is some clear liquid at the top, but believe me it would be thawed by now. Great so glad I bought the expensive stuff. I know that the next time I order it I will make sure that whoever I buy it from ships it UPS instead of USPS. I feel like I am banging my head against the wall with this stuff sometimes. Thanks for the info guys.
James
I posted it under miscellaneous/ by the way, the first picture I have posted to the site so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2008 06:21PM by James Willard.

Date: December 21, 2008 06:15PM

I am going to try to post a pic of the stuff, I just cut the bottle in half and pulled the solid bottle shaped silicone consistency CP out. It is about as solid as cork.
James

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 01:29AM

James,
Depending on your location, and parcel service, you may have trouble getting to you that is not frozen.

Many trucks are not heated, and many of the planes and dock areas are not heated either.
If your area, as is ours, at - below zero - you need to specifically ask your delivery service, if they have any recommendations for non frozen product to your door.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2008 07:31AM

Not that it helps at this point ... IMO, folks in cold weather climates, OR shipping from cold weather climates, should stock up on ALL forms of rod building chemicals BEFORE the fall season is over. At this point, it could very well be spring before you can successfully obtain CP that hasn't seen the ravages of freezing.

Date: December 22, 2008 05:32PM

Why can't I just get it shipped with a lot of insulation. I have heard that in Alaska Christmas trees have to be shipped in refrigerated trucks because they actually insulate from the cold as well as they do from the heat, keeping them from freezing. If my supplier surrounded it in styrofoam and then cover that with foil then put that in a box of its own and just put that in the box with the rest of the stuff? That should work and can't cost very much extra to add a little stryrofoam, foil and card board. I would appreciate your opinions on this idea.
James

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.218.43.66.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: December 22, 2008 05:38PM

Hi James, and everyone else.

I was really worried when I read this post. I had a delivery coming of Andy's Chromaseal and 15 minute epoxy. I live in Iowa and it has been -10 degrees for two days. (Windchill -40) My order from Anglers Workshop came packed in styrofoam peanuts with no damage from the cold weather. Those guys are great!

Thanks Anglers Workshop,

Scott

Date: December 23, 2008 08:03AM

I don't understand the post Scott. Is that a code that refers to something that I don't know about yet?
James

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster