I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

forhan revolver to spinning?
Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 07:53PM

I set up a 8.6FT salmon rod on the forhan revolver, my but guide is set at 21 inches from center of reel seat, made the transition in 12 inches, Okay here is my confusion, once the line is on the bottom isnt it now a spinning rod from here to the tip? if so wouldnt you use the new concept system of eyes every 4 to 5 inches, which seems like a lot, or do you go with a standard progressively spacing out to the tip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: forhan revolver to spinning?
Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 08:27PM

spacing the guides every 4/5 inches is just a starting point.

once thats done, a static distribution test will tell you where guides need to be

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 08:34PM

I would just recommend using a static distribution. It will show you exactly where the guides need to be. As Joshua mentioned the NGC is only a starting point and should never be your end all decision on guide placement.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2008 09:12PM

Rich advocated 4 to 5 inches for each guide because it's a safe bet - it works and you're sure to have adequate stress distribution and still have a rod that will cast farther than you can effectively fish it. However, if you want to tweak the spacing and use a more progressive distance between guides, that's fine too.

Date: December 20, 2008 09:20PM

okay guys I d id a static distribution test, and placed the guides progessively up the blank from the tip approx 5.5 , 12, 20, 30, 42, to the first choke guide, this looks like it will work fine but I thought the new concept system was supposed to be better,IE guides closer?

Date: December 20, 2008 09:23PM

There is no choke guide on a casting rod, spiral wrap or not.

Not sure what you've got there.

Date: December 20, 2008 09:26PM

Okay tom I saw your post right after I summited mine, but I came up with this question in my mind after I went back and read your suggestions in your book on guide spacing in your rod building book .

Date: December 21, 2008 09:06AM

Still not sure what you're trying to do. On a spinning rod you have a choke guide at a position that takes the line from the reel and redirects it onto a slightly different path. The location is found based on the spool upsweep or the newer method of using a factor of 27 times the spool diameter.

On a casting reel the line comes off flat along the rod. There is no need to redirect anything and you wouldn't have a choke guide of any sort.

Date: December 21, 2008 10:34AM

I used the wrong term, saying choke guide, went out and read your book again and evereybodys help here and re did the guides, got it right this time, I was overthinking the hole process. thanks for the help.

Date: December 21, 2008 10:37AM

I thought something was off. Anyway, glad you got it figured out. Test cast a bit and see what you think.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 21, 2008 12:46PM

One salmon/ steelhead rods I've seen no reason so far to put the guides so close together. I use the Forhan spacing with good results which is 5-6-7-7-7-7-7 you get the picture.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: December 21, 2008 06:05PM

When I did mine I started with the 4-5 then static testing, then finally used his recommeded sliding a fly tip through the three guides to ensure contact with all three guides. JMHO>

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 21, 2008 06:57PM

I think Ralph's version is the one that uses the rod blank through the blanks, I don't think Rich worries about guide contact to much in his version.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2008 07:57PM

Scotty - if you would like my reasons why - Volume 5 Issue 3 is the place to find the article. If you just want the numbers - listen to Spencer. For those of you that have that issue - consider reading it again - the article has not changed - but you have - like an old movie - you will read things you never remembered as being there.

Date: December 21, 2008 11:31PM

I will rich, I ordered every back issue I could find on the subject except for that one, just my luck, To all a merry christmas and a happy new year. Thanks for every thing. Scotty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster