I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Robert's Wrap
Posted by: Tony Spinelli (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 06:48PM

I am in the process of designing a 6' 6" IM6 Graphite Robert's Wrap (spiral) rod. It will not be the first one that I have built. However, in my attempt to build it as lite as possible I have designed it using FUJI (BLNAG) concept guides. Sizes 16, 12, 10 and 4 number 8's. My other Robert's Wrap rods have FUJI (BNLG) guides in the same sizes. Comparing the BLNAG concept guides to the BNLG guides. I noticed that the footprint on the BLNAG is much smaller then on the BNLG guides. My concern is that the smaller footprint of the BLNAG concept guides will not be enough to secure them to the blank in the area where they wrap around. The #12 @ 80-85 degrees, the #10@140 degrees and the #8@175 degrees. I believe that the 80 and 140 degree guides would have to be able to take about 5 lbs of pressure under the stress of a hard fighting fish. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Robert's Wrap
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 06:53PM

I don't think it should be a problem, have been many spiral wrapped rods using Micro guides whose foot print is about 1/2 or less of the guides you are looking at. To date have not had a single guide or wrap failure.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 06:57PM

Tony,
I doubt you will have any problem.
I really have heard of no problems with guides coming loose from any of the Fuji guides, irrespective of model.

I have used the very guides that you are going to use on a similar rod and have never had issues.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 08:28PM

I can report the same experience...with the exception of I use the simple spiral. No problems.

If weight is a concern...have you played around with using the smallest guides you can use and still get the job done?

I started using a singlefoot BLAG 6mm as my butt guide and it seems to do great! I even tried a rod with ALL 4mm blag = stripper, transition, running guides, and tip top. Wow! It test casts just great. (of course I am not having to pass large knots through these guides)

Good luck,

Les

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.sub-166-156-63.myvzw.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 08:37PM

You really do not need to use guides of that size. First, what reel are you using? If it is a low profile bass reel you could use micro's or even all size 6 guides if you don't feel comfortable trying the micro's yet.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 10:04PM

i use blnag #10, blnag #7, blag #7, blag#6s the rest of the way down and have no problems (simple spirals). like scott said - if this is a bass or similar gamefish rod, you have plenty of room to downsize. i use a locking wrap on all of my single foot guides as well.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 10:04PM

Scott is right here. I use similar sizing on heavy bottom rods. 16 then 10s all the way out for rods in the 50-80# class.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster