I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly-rod grips
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.47.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 03:27PM

Pre-made fly-rod grips and even cork rings appear to be sized on the "one size fits all" assumption. I don't wear a medium glove, I wear an extra-large. I would like to rod-bond cork rings to a reel seat and blank and then turn the cork down to a full welles that fits my hand/grip. I think I would like to start with some cork rings which have a larger O.D. than the standard "one size fits all" type, but I don't know.
I would like the advice of those who have overcome similar concerns, and any tips they can provide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly-rod grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2008 03:34PM

RodMaker Volume 10 #3 has a very in-depth article on fishing rod handle and grip ergonomics. Most pre-formed grips are entirely wrong in size and shape for optimum use by the human hand. You can certainly do much better on your own.

Making your own grips isn't hard, but will require some practice. Most cork rings are sized 1-1/4 inch diameter which is plenty to start with. They're already round so you don't lose a lot of diameter as you would if you were turning square stock to round. Most likely, unless you have really huge hands, you can turn what you need from rings of this size.

RodMaker has also published a large assortment of full size handle and grip templates, with sizing considerations for different sized hands.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 03:55PM

As grips go, the Struble full wells is well shaped and larger in diameter than many preformed grips. I've modeled my turned grips from their pattern and haven't had any complaints yet. On my personal rods I've found the Fenwick, full wells and Gordon style grips fit me best.

Posted by: Bert Kinghorn (64.38.131.---)
Date: December 20, 2008 05:31PM

The beauty of using rings is that you can always take more off until you get it right, so long as you start with rings with a large enough OD.

With a preformed grip, you have to find a grip that is at least as large in diameter as you need AND the ergonmomics may still be totally unsatisficatory.

Seems you are about to join the world of CUSTOM rod builders!

~Bert

Posted by: Jeffrey Van Zandt (---.tkj.aptalaska.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 06:01PM

Doing your own cork grip is the only way to go on most of my can dod I cut down to 1-4 inch rings then glue up on shaft which is easy on a bamboo fly rod chuck up in lathe and trune down for custom built rods I fit to the customers hand and typ of grip he wents when not doing on the rod just a dowel and put on the glued up rings and trun to when it fits you well and what you lik I use differnt color pigments added to my glue to add a old time grip color ti my 1/4 inch rings God Bless Jeff Rhonda and kaya net pup

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 06:07PM

Making your own grips is the natural progression from assembler to custom builder. Buy cheaper cork to start and practice with. Use the good stuff once you get the hang of it. You will neve use preformed grips again.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2008 10:09PM

in making your own grips you will be amazed at how a grip only 1 or even 2mm bigger feels. most of the regular rings can be used, just care needs to be taken to not take off too much. another alternative is to use the strips and glue them up to make a turning square.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 20, 2008 11:11PM

When you have mastered making your own cork grips wood may lure you iinto further experimenting. If so the addiction process may become too strong to reject.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: August 19, 2009 02:11PM

I just had ot chime in on John's 1mm/2mm comment.

I turned a number of grips 1/8" over thinking I could always take them down. After casting with them, I decided to take them down (each one differently) and indeed discovered that very little material can make a significant difference.

My caliper is in 1/64", so I am finding that 2/64 (.79 mm) or 4/64 aka 1/16 (1.58mm) can make all the difference in the world. I never woulda thought, but the proof is in hand. (pun intended)

Cheers,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster