I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: M & M vol 5 spinning rods
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2008 10:42PM

Dennis;
I pretty much understand what you are saying about;
“the problem with locating a guide in the declining amplitude part of the waveform is that the interference of the guide causes concertining of the line in the wave form ( ie it stacks up behind itself viv-a vis "damming" ) and the amplitude increases even more ..............causing increased velocity perpendicular to the rod.”

The one thing I’m having difficulty with is, placement of and size of the guide in relation to locating “strippers at 3/4 wave amplitude on the rising side”

Would not the location or size of the guide then change were the ¾ wave is rising or falling.
And if so, then do I again relocate it at the new location only to cause the effect to change further in a non ending sequence?

Jim you’re not being presumptuous the phrase has already been coined
[rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 09:56AM by Steve Gardner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 07:42AM

Jim Spooner:

From a previous M&M Thread on this board.

The camera angle is deceptive - the spinning rod phto with a butt guide 12 ring high frame titanium

Drop Shot Rod

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 07:50AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 26, 2008 08:44AM

Steve and Bill,
I did see and read those. I guess the “tame the lion” thing was too subtle for my addled mind. Was clever….”lion---line”. I should have got that since I live in Alabama where “Jim” is pronounced with two syllables (snicker). It still would seem more appropriate to me if you would refer to the “system” as the (“lion (or line) tamer system”) rather than the misnomers (?) “micro system”, “micro technology”, “micro rods”, etc, since “micro” guides are nothing more than small guides. I use the micros with both casting and spinning rods, but the rods are set up using “conventional” thinking. Your set-up method is new and unique and probably deserving of an appropriate name. I’m not being critical….just a suggestion. I’ll sit down and shut up now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 03:16PM by jim spooner.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2008 09:21AM

Jim;
You are correct it does make more sense to use the words "Tame the Line" especially when referring to it as a system.

If you read the first post in that thread it is referred to that way. "Tame the Line" and is actually quoted from the Vibronics article In Rod Maker Mag. back in 2007 when it was used to explain why the guides were choked down so quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 09:22AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: December 26, 2008 03:28PM

"Tame the Lion"... very good use of words. I was in tune and waiting to see where this would go from the get go.... it went where I thought it would, and now I have some TESTING, TESTING, TESTING to do. Thanks Bill Stevens, Bob McKamey, Steve Gardner, Denis Brown, and everyone else who has weighed in here.

Be in touch in the New Year with how it's going, along with a bit more of my tinkering..

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 29, 2008 08:01PM

Just back at home for 18hrs or so & then I'm off back down the cabin again.
Too many visitors over Xmas & the beer & wine supply would not last thru new years frivolity.
Got to get the priorities right, plenty of fish, plenty of bait & lures, enough food, ................but the grog is in short supply.
Sea conditions on the rocks is marginal safetywise today so abandoned fishing in the interest of lubrication.

responding to Steve G's query.
- the damming usually only affects less than a wavelength
- the guide does not require repositioning in response to the changed waveform.
- the wavelength of the choked wave is reasonably estimated from the immediately preceeding wave, as it is minimally affected.
- the object is taming waveform exiting the guide , this comes at the price of some damming as the waveform is choked.

My choking has been modest and the 3/4 amplitude position on the rising wave works for me.
For those trying more aggressive choking, the guide size and its position on the rising amplitude of the wave will be determined & limited in its benefit by dealing with excessive damming ( as per prev post ).

I look forward to hearing how more agressive choking works for you Steve & what you find in the process of trial & error.

Regards & Happy New Year to you all.

Date: January 11, 2009 04:17PM

No. 1. I'm just curious as to whether anyone is still watching this thread now that it is so far down in the stack?

No 2. FWIW, I did my own testing and got results similar to Bob McKamey when using smaller guides.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 25, 2009 08:50PM

I'm watching the thread! I find it fascinating. My main concerns are:

The 27X choke guide spacing seems to necessitate 3 guides (1 butt guide and two transition guides) PRIOR to the choke guide. Some have suggested 27X spacing may be too far out for the choke guide. If so, are there alternate ways of locating that guide closer to the reel face, apart from trial and error?

I understand line type should be a factor. I am partial to Sufix 6 lb braid. Any thoughts on butt guide spacing from the reel face with a limp, small diameter braid line?

I like to fish in windy conditions. It seems a tame the line rod layout coupled with micro guides would help under windy conditions? Any thoughts about this?

Thanks,
Rick

Date: January 26, 2009 09:27AM

Richard,
My testing would suggest that the 27X choke guide placement would be irrelevant with braided lines. If you’ll unhide your email address (or send me an email), I’ll send you a copy of my test notes.
I wonder if anyone else has done their own testing since this tread first got started.

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster