I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 18, 2008 09:11PM

showed my first spinning rod to a friend, he thinks he wants me to build him a 12' surf rod, this will be my first paying customer,
suggestions on rods and guides would be appreciated. 8 to 10 oz. lures, I am going to ask him the pound test and the kind of line he uses and want to see the reel he uses as well. rod needs to be one piece. The word he used was hatteras heaver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2008 09:21PM by Jim Creed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod
Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: December 18, 2008 09:48PM

WRI Nitro, WRI Fusion Magnum, Lamiglas GSB1502, CTS 8-12,and several Rainshadow SU models are the blanks I build on the most. All great Hatteras Heavers, but all 2 pc rods. all will throw 8&bait very well, The Nitro and Fusion Magnum will be the fastest action, the lami and cts are leaning towards moderate and can easily be loaded by most casting styles.

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2008 09:49PM by Walt Davenport.

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.vgs.untd.com)
Date: December 18, 2008 10:03PM

I agree with Walt on the rod choices. Very few if any 1 piece Heavers being built anymore the advances in construction of 2 pc rods have basically made a 1 pc obsolete, not to mention the costs of having a blank over 8' shipped. Another advantage of the 2 pc is it is easier to transport to and from your destination.

Posted by: George Mock (---.sub-70-208-82.myvzw.com)
Date: December 19, 2008 07:44AM

Take a look at the Mudhole LSB1502. It's the same as the Lami 1502 at less than half the price.
The 1502 can be loaded by even small or less muscular casters. Some blanks can take a considerable amount of arse to bend them and make them cast correctly. You should consider that in your choice of blanks.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: December 19, 2008 07:51AM

Jim, We carry the CTS and the Rainshadow. Right now I happen to have both styles in stock. Give us a call and we will be glad to help you out. Thanks Scott Parsons

Posted by: James Reed (---.org)
Date: December 19, 2008 01:16PM

The rainshadow SU1509 is almost a 1 pc rod that will throw 8oz very well. They are hard to get anymore, but a few can be found if you call around.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster