I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Masking Tape
Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 18, 2008 10:40AM

I am missing something on masking tape.. It doesn't seem to stick to Rods,Guides and the like. It adheres well to my fingers and to itself.

Iwatched Doc Ski's video, His masking tape sticks!
I was watching Artie Hebert's DVD doing a chevron wrap.. He would tear off a piece of 1/4 masking tape about an inch long or so, and it would hold the thread in place while he would wrap to the other end......Amazing... I even tried removing the tape with a tweezer and cutting with a scissors..it still doesn't hold.

Bad masking tape I thought....... I bought more from a paint shop, walmart, Napa, and a western auto store. same problem. bought some 3/4 inch tape and cut it into 1/4 strips. No luck

I sure hope someone has and answer. My main concern is when I am trying to hold a guide in place to wrap it.. I have to make at least 2--3 wraps with the tape to almost hold the guide securely.
Then I have to remove it with a knife as it really holds on to itself.

Roy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Masking Tape
Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: December 18, 2008 11:32AM

For all around work I use 3M 233+, its green tape and sticks very well. Should be available at any Walmart type stores.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2008 11:35AM

Roy,
A couple of thoughts:
1. If you want the tape to stick well to the rod blank - do NOT use the blue painters tape. The blue painters tape is purposely low tack, so that it comes off easily.
2. Rather - use a NAME BRAND - tape - of the big manufacturer. Also, if possible, purchase the tape from a location, which does a lot of business so that the tape is fresh. Often, if buying from a source with low turnover may have tape on their shelf which is a year or more old.
3. Frequently wash your hands with good soap. Some folks have more oily skin that others. If you get much skin oil on the tape, it won't stick.
4. Try to not use your fingers to put tape in place.
5. Rather - have a nice hard clean surface like a piece of glass, or piece of counter top - to adhere the end of a piece of tape.
Then, when cutting tape off the roll, go ahead and pull the first piece or strip off the roll. Attach the end of the tape to the clean surface. Leave the tag end long enough so that you can snip it and still leave a few inches off the end of the roll.
Then, continue cutting strips- but don't touch the sticky side of the tape. Simply attach the tag end of the tape roll to the clean surface and snip off the needed pieces - leaving the long tag end on the roll. Continue until you get a sufficient number of strips for use.
Then, when using the tape, do not use your fingers to put in place, but use a clean pair of thin nosed tweezers to position the tape without touching the sticky surface of the tape.

I have had similar problems with non sticky myself,- but by using the above procedures take care of the problem.

One more thing - some folks hold the guide to the blank with their fingers. If your fingers are too oily - the tape won't stick to the guide, and or the blank, because you have touched the blank. If you find that this is an ongoing problem and isn't solved by frequent washing - then pick up tight fitting latex gloves. A bit uncomfortable to work with, but after a while you get used to it. The latex will solve the oily finger problem.

The down side of working with latex gloves is that it is difficult to let the thread slip through your fingers when wrappring. The rubber tends to grab the thread and you sometimes lose control of the wrap.

Good luck.
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2008 12:17PM

There are differing grades and quality of tape. Some is not so good, but most all sticks. In fact, the cheaper varieties stick almost too well - you can't get the adhesive residue off.

You're almost certainly getting your fingers on the adhesive and negating its ability to stick.

Try this - for taping a guide to the blank, cut or tear a strip sufficient to hold the guide but leave yourself enough room to get the wrap started on the foot. Hold the tape only by one end. Now set the tape onto the guide foot, at the center of the tape. Lower the guide to the rod blank and press the outer edges of the tape to the blank. You shouldn't have to wrap the tape around the blank just to hold the guide for wrapping.

One other thing - wipe your blanks down with regular IPO alcohol, just in case you've got something on them.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: December 18, 2008 12:37PM

It almost sounds like your blanks have been contaminated. Have you been using spray lubricants in the area? I always wipe mine down with denatured alcohol before doing anything. My rod room is adjacent to my basement work shop and who knows all of the contminates in the air.

Good luck,

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2008 12:54PM

I'll add one more thing. Something I do with all of my tape, when I use a piece, I fold the end of the tag end on the roll over onto itself. This makes for a tag to grab, and prevents fumbling to get the roll started.

I start with a strip of tape that has the end folded over about 1/8", just enough to get a hold on.

I then cut a strip of tape from the roll that is long enough to put over the guide feet and hold the guide on the blank.

Next I will hold the tag end, and cut lengthwise strips, so each one has a little tag of it's own that I can grab, and lightly tack the strips by the very edge on a clean surface to stay until I'm ready to use them.

Now each piece of tape has a tag that you can hold without touching the adhesive. This, combined with wiping the blank down as mentioned, should help with the problems.

As you wrap, even if you wrap the tape around the blank a time or two, you have a place to grab and unwind the tape.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2008 01:59PM

I found a tape that is used by pinstripers that works great. It's made by 3M, is 1/8 in wide, and blue, but it is a plastic tape like electrical tape. Should be able to find it in any auto paint or body repair supply store.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 18, 2008 02:04PM

Thanks for all your help! I had to do a complete turnaround on my tape handling techniques.. The guides are staying put.!!

Roy

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: December 18, 2008 11:09PM

Awhile back I was on a project and the tape got involved with my nine fingers and
three thumbs; etc. trying to set up some guides. An onlooker demonstrated the use of
a rubber band. Just by putting the rubber band around the rod and guide foot; then taking
one "loop" and putting it thru the inside of the other "loop"; and pull tight. Worked.
I have four marjarine containers with four different size rubber bands that I use when
appropriate. Rather easy when doing static testing.
[ note: - sometimes the "loose" and/or "tag" end of the rubber band flops around in the
way. A "wire tie" quickly solves this ]

jocko

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2008 08:14AM

Best to use the best and usually the most expensive masking tape. It pays for its self. I am notorious for getting the cheapest I can get by with when it comes to consumables, but that is one area where it does not pay.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2008 09:47AM

IN the past I used some colored electrical tape that I pasted on a plastic lid and then cut to whatever width I wanted. I found that the pinstripe tape was too wide for small fly guides for me to work with.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 19, 2008 11:01AM

Jack - not nice to refer to nine fingers, since that's all I've got. Only have two thumbs though. Another old trick is to use sections of surgical tubing to do a similar thing, exceptyou have to slide the secrtion on before you start placing the gudes. I like your idea better, though.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster