I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Amtak Matrix SJ720 vs. Loomis SJ720 in GL2 or IMX
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 03:14PM

I gather that the modulus of the Matrix is in between GL2 and IMX but was wondering if anybody could compare the Matrix to the Loomis blanks otherwise. How do they compare in terms of overall weight and action?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amtak Matrix SJ720 vs. Loomis SJ720 in GL2 or IMX
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 05:24PM

how did you gather that?

Date: December 17, 2008 05:32PM

My understanding is that the Matrix is intermediate modulus, i.e. in the 40s, which is what I understand the GL3 to be. That would put the Matrix in between GL2 (standard modulus) and IMX (high modulus). Am I wrong?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 06:37PM

Don't know I have never used or bought a Matrix blank
I was asking how you arrived at your conclusion.

I do know that sometimes trying to compare manufacturers to manufacturers can be misleading as there is no real standard to compare materials against.

May I ask what you are looking for in the blank? You may get more useful info back from some of the guys who have compared those blanks to each other.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.telkom-ipnet.co.za)
Date: December 17, 2008 06:47PM

The Matrix SJ does not compare in power to the Loomis SJ's. It is thinner in butt diameter, so doesn't have as fast a taper, in fact, it's more like a regular spinning rod than a spin jig. Nice blank, light tip, a bit more power down low, but the naked blank itself almost felt tip heavy when I checked it out. Just looking at graphite then yes, technically IM is between standard modulus and high modulus stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better than a rod of lower modulus graphite.

I'd take the Loomis model. Buy what you can afford: GL3 is definitely a step up from GL2, but the difference between IMX and GL2 is worlds......

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 06:58PM

As previously stated, there is DEFINITELY a major difference between the GL2 and IMX in the SJ720. In GL2 format it makes for a nice durable multi-purpose rod in a lighter line class. In IMX, it is a beautiful piece of art.

Date: December 17, 2008 07:58PM

In the Mudhole catalogue the Matrix shows a larger butt diameter and smaller tip, but I know the printed specs aren't always accurate.

I would say the blank will be used for micro-jig type stuff - 1/32 ounce up to about 1/8 - targeting crappie, bream, trout and sometimes bass. To say it another way - smaller baits on 4lb line (mono or braid) in very clear water.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 08:01PM

If conversations come up from time to time concerning the Modulus thing from those who think that certain rods are supreior simply because of a high number appearing in print or on the decal I suggest that you print a copy of this thrread from a long long time ago and keep it handy. It will get the attention of those seeking a IXPD 11.8 MM Super Pro Tournament Special.

A custom builder really needs to get a proper handle on the modulus situation before purchasing any blanks.

It has sold a lot of rods for me and saved customers a ton of money -

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: ben runyan (---.161.157.132.Dial1.Cincinnati1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 08:01PM

Just A word of Advice Dont Ever Believe Something could be sold for less And be better than something that is sold for more.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 08:17PM

Ben,

I think that I would seriously disagree with that statement While often true, it isn't an absolute. High price often has less to do with quality and performance tham with marketing and targeting a particular demographic. Unfortunately, many people think that if it costs more, it must be better for no better reason than snob appeal.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 18, 2008 06:30PM

Mike is right on - do not associate triple the price with triple the quality or performance. High price on high modulus blanks also is a partial result of them having to charge more to cover the warranty for higher breakage rates, along with a good chunk for the name brand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster