I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aligning guides
Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: December 16, 2008 09:20PM

I was in the line aisle of the local bait shop and got to looking at the florescent lines. Which in turn got me to thinking about aligning guides. Seeing as how the line glows like a fat rope under a black light, why not use it to line the guides on a blank? Place and suspend 1/2 oz weight on the line to keep the line tight and striaght. People use lasers and such, but with the line laying in the bottom of the guides, you could see every bend like a road sign. As long as the blank is straight, then the line will be also. Any thoughts?

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aligning guides
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 09:45PM

Sounds logical. Let us know how it works out.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 11:43PM

I'd say worth a try. I just put a colored piece of paper behind my stripper or next guide up and look through the tip top. If I can see the color through the guide rings, I know I'm pretty straight. I might tweak, but I know I'm in a good place at least.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: December 17, 2008 04:09AM

Sounds interesting Eric. I line mine up on the rod lathe. I lock the rod into the lathe once all the guides are wrapped, and then look straight down at the rod from the top. I center each guide so an equal amount of guide is showing on each side of the blank. If a rod has a slight bend in it, I always build on the underside of the bend, so visually the rod is always straight. Quick and simple.

cheers
Harold

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 07:34AM

I do something similar to Alex, I put a white piece of paper on the wall and look down the blank like a rifle - easy to see if they align with the tip top in a concentric manner or not.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 07:34AM

I do something similar to Alex, I put a white piece of paper on the wall and look down the blank like a rifle - easy to see if they align with the tip top in a concentric manner or not.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 08:58AM

What do you mean by an equal amount showing on either side of the blank? I haven’t seen a guide stick out past the blank for a while now…

The fluorescent line may work well, but don’t get too hung up on it, from what I have seen the main reason to stress over straight guides is to please the customer not to have any impact on performance.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 09:07AM

Then they must be aligned, LOL

Date: December 17, 2008 10:20AM

Alex.

I build light weight fly rods primarily 3 to 6 wt. and even the small snake guides (#1's and 2's) do come past the edges of the blank slightly, with the very thin tip sections.

Harold

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 12:24PM

I have tried a laser but eyeballing has probably been the most effective--now that i think about it I have different lasers available--LOL I do have to remember that with the seamless bicfocals that there is distortion. Things I think are crooked or warped are actually ok without the glasses.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 12:39PM

Mike,

They mean the guide ring showing on each side, not the foot. That's how I do it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 12:56PM

No way are you seeing this from the other side. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 01:02PM

Good Point, Mike! I forgot about the "darksiders"!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 02:33PM

Yeah.. I'm there with Mike Harris. Most of my blanks, well, all of my blanks are wider than my running guides.

And most are wider than my stripper too.

Maybe I could turn the rod upside down and if I didn't see the guides, I would know they are at least almost all on the same axis of the blank! (just joking... but there is some seriousness to that thought... it would get you pretty close actually!)

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: December 17, 2008 04:11PM

We use the line trick - we keep a piece of bright yellow line about ten ft long just for doing this. We also use a laser - depends mostly on the guide styles, because the high-frame guides are easier to do with the line.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: December 17, 2008 05:27PM

Mike H.

I don't use micro guides on fly-rods. I doubt the fly line and related knots would go through them. I use snake guides on most of my builds. And looking at the picture, I can see what your talking about, not being able to see the guide from the other side. Throw a snake guide or any guide for that matter on the 1/16th inch tip section of a flyrod and I guarantee you'll see it from the "otherside". My post was specific to light weight fly rods. I should have specified it better in my original post.

Harold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2008 05:29PM by Harold Dean.

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: December 17, 2008 05:58PM

Seeing as how the blank I am building now is a micro, I am having a hard time "bore" sighting the guides. I am a lineman by trade, I am use to running copper on a pole in a straight line. It just seemed that I could apply the same principal to this application.

We put a staple at the top of the pole, then stretch the copper tight and place a staple at the bottom of the pole. This puts all the copper in a straight line on the pole, and then we just drive a staple every 12-18 inches. Looks like it was done with a straight edge.

Get the butt guide centered on the blank, and the first guide from the tip. The rest is self explanatory.

Russ, I was glad to read that this does work. After posting this last night, I got to thinking that the black light would be a pain in the rear. So I got to thinking about the bright nylon lines at the home improvement stores that builders use to string off areas for footers and such. Neon pink and chartreuse are readily available. Should be highly visible without the use of a black light.

Eric

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 17, 2008 08:30PM

The alignment of the micros is surprisingly easier than a taller and or larger guide frame. All guides should be placed and tuned prior to any wrapping. Using proper overhead lighting and a placment position of getting your head directly over the TDC of the blank is quite easy to do. This procedure is noted in the Flex Coat Booklet of How We Do It. These small guides are quite easy to place the small pointed foot on the reflected line on the TDC of the blank. The movement and tuning when using the tie wraps allows very slight movemnt to line everything up. When all are in place hold the blank in a postion where your are observing the blank in total length from the back end - what you will see is a line of dots for each guide sitting on the TDC of the blank surface. They are not tall enough to require much movement to get the rings in alignment. The real problem is to find a way to wrap, install Forhan and pull thread without disturbing the intiail straight placement. If you are having to tune the guides after wrapping you will waste a lot of time dealing with the torque and twist of the tiny frames around the Forhan lock when using tight thread tension. If you are building a casting rod it is suggested that the reel be installed in the seat for verification of the placement of the butt guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster