I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for the gurus
Posted by: Keith Cokely (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 11:54AM

I have a GLoomis rod with a wrap I figure out. The wrap is on single foot wire fly guides, the rod is mate black. The thread looks to be green nylon with no cp. In the middle of each wrap is what looks to be a single thread insert of silver but I can't see the tag ends of the silver. Iv'e looked with mag eyes and good lighting but can't see the ends. Any thoughts?
Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for the gurus
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2008 12:36PM

It's a simple single thread inlay. Not at all hard to do. We covered these in the Volume 6 #1 issue of RodMaker have another look at a similar wrap in the current issue out just now.

Sort of hard to explain with text only - much easier with photos.

Raymond Adams may have a free tutorial he could mail you.

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 12:40PM

There is a technique were after a few wraps you put in the end of the silver and wrap a few more over it. Then you wrap both colors for a few turns and continue on with the black. After you tie off the black you go back to the silver and unravel it until it is just about at one complete turn. It should have the black over it at that point and then you snip it off. Once you pack the threads tight it will look like only one turn with no tag ends. I have been practicing it on the last few rods and it is fun. I build mostly fly rods so it is nice because you can add a little flash without adding lots of weight with thread. I also usually add something like a three wrap tag on the end.

Matt White

Posted by: Keith Cokely (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 01:33PM

I've done single thread inlays before but always useing ncp thread so the tag ends are'nt as critical. Can't imagine a rod built in "factory would take the time to get the ends cut so close so as not to be able to them through nylon with no cp though. It looks like a single band, my first thought was paint.
Keith

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2008 02:47PM

It takes but a few seconds to do it. Factory wrappers, while perhaps not always as neat as some custom builders are, tend to be very proficient timewise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster