I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Source for Wrapper Wheels
Posted by: Charles Horan (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 09:16PM

I'm trying to refurbish an old wrapper I picked up recently. It's 12 feet long, and the rod motor is on a platform that runs on a 12 foot rail, so the thread carriage/holder is fixed and the rod moves along a track. Hope that's clear enough. lol
Anyhow, the rollers are machined nicely out of aluminum, but I need to replace the wheels. I'm looking for 1 1/4" diameter wheels , 1/2" thick, that will accept a 1/4" axle. The current wheels are very hard phenolic or something and I want to replace with soft, no-mar material. Anybody have any idea for sources? The closes I found today was wheels for a robot, but the axle diameter was off and I dont want to drill them out unless I have to.

This is turning into a fun project--I'm building a 12 foot bench for this monster and I made a lot of headway this weekend, with some helpful suggestions by Mark Griffin.
Thanks, all.
Chuck Horan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Source for Wrapper Wheels
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2008 09:18PM

Check a good hobby shop for RC airplane wheels.

Or, inline skate wheels on bearings. These will be much larger, starting at about 70mm and going up from there, but they work well.

Date: December 15, 2008 09:32PM

Well, I can't use the skate wheels, because this thing is machined to accept only 1.25 inch diameter wheels, and I hate to start altering it too much. So far I've found some great wheels that are close--1/25 ball bearing pulleys that will take an o-ring, but they are too thin. I could get those and put a spacer front and back, I suppose. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Chuck

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 09:53PM

Charles, what about Mc Master Carr

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 11:02PM

I saw some aluminum ball bearing wheels at Lowes that were about 1 1/4 diameter and about 1/4 in thick. They were used on rolling doors of some sort. They had white nylon "tires" on them. They were quite expensive , 4 in a pack. I am guessing at the dimensions, it's been a couple months ago.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 11:18PM

Hey Chuck,

You might be pleasantly surprised if you stop by that little door/window shop at Pasadena St. & Route 66. The guy has a HUGE selection of rollers. Some flat, some grooved that you could add an o-ring to. This stuff ---> [www.slide-co.com] Scroll down the page and you'll see a lot of sizes.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 12:46AM

In addition to Marks excellent comments, after obtaining the grooved rollers you need, stop over to your local hardware store.
Then go to the plumbing department and pick up the rubber O ring that will fit nicely into the groove of the roller.
When you get the O rings, pick up a bunch of spares, so th at if one breaks or wears out, you will have a spare.

Good luck and a good project.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.92.4.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 03:19AM

check here
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 05:45AM

Charles-
The sliding glass door rollers I used finished out at 1 3/8" diameter with O-rings. They are ball bearing mounted with 1/4" bore. Width of center bushing or race is 3/8 ". Had to order O-rings from Grainger to fit just right. They are 1" ID and 1 3/8 OD Rollers came from H. Depot-If you have to use something like these I have some O-rings I could send you-came in a box of 50. Shoot me an email if you need them.

Chris

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 01:21PM

Try here these companys have several styles of rollers / Idler pullys

[www.savacable.com]

www.smallparts.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 01:21PM

Sorry Double Post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2008 03:47PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: December 16, 2008 08:30PM

Hey, wonderful information, guys! I really appreciate it. I made great progress today (I'm on vacation for a week). The
12 foot bench will be made up of two benches 42"long, with a 5 foot span in between that is just benchtop. Both ends will have storage under the benches, and on the 5 foot span I will mount a flourescent light and my thread holders. This is fun, so far. Just routed out my pencil holder on the front of the top. lol Once it's all done I will try to post a couple of pictures
THanks again, everyone, for the great advice on the wheels.

Chuck Horan

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: December 16, 2008 09:05PM

Charlie if the only problem with the current rollers is they are too hard why not just cut some grooves in them and slap on a set of O rings?

It would sure save re-engineering the whole wrapper.

Date: December 16, 2008 09:44PM

Jan, I thought of that but I don't know how I would cut an accurate groove around the circumference of that wheel. But your idea gave me one--I might solve the problem by putting a thin rubber sleeve over each wheel--like a circumference of thin bicycle inner tube or something like that! That should provide a non-marring surface and it will work if the wheels have enough space in between them. One way or the other I shall prevail!! LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster