I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Refinishing rod blank
Posted by: armand flies (86.96.226.---)
Date: December 14, 2008 06:52AM

I have stripped the coating off an old fly rod. The original intention was just to rewrap the guides, but due to UV damage the coating had to go. This has lead to some questions.

Must the carbon blank be treated with a coating of some kind, or is it acceptable to use in the salt as is?

If it must be coated, what products are suitable in addition to PermaGloss? Is ther esomething I can pick up at Ace that will do the trick?

Lastly, if I do order some PG, where do I find the Testors metal cap? Living in Arabia, I will need to buy this over the internet.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Armand

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Refinishing rod blank
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 06:58AM

Hi Armand

You find it difficult to get Permagloss shipped overseas. Its highly volatile. How did you strip the blank?

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Date: December 14, 2008 07:19AM

Scott,

I scraped the coating off with the edge of an exacto blade that forms where the blade snaps off. The coating came off clean, and I dont think that there was any damage to the blank.

There was so much paint and clear coat on the blank that I think the rod might be up a line weight now.

Armand

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 09:43AM

You should unhide your E-mail Armand!

Date: December 14, 2008 10:13AM

Email unhidden now.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 08:19PM

You may be able to get the PermaGloss over there. Several years back, Ralph O'quinn posted that they had a different formulation for overseas shippment. That may still be the case.

If not you can probably get aerosol cans of spar urethane at Ace.

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 01:38PM

Its marketed under the Seymo brand on this side of the pond. Its an alternative to but defintely NOT like permagloss.

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster