I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Guide Size selection
Posted by: rick brixon (---.gvllcmtc01.gnvlnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 04:30AM

Besides buying every size fly guide there is how do I determine the best size for a specific fly line weight. Right now I am building a 7 wt saltwater 4 piece fly rod and am considering using recoil guides. Also can one use a spinning top for a fly rod and again how to chose a correct size top guide. Thanks for all your advice in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Guide Size selection
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 06:06AM

For saltwater I would go ceramics. Just use big enough guides to pass what knots you have in the line.(ie nail knot, loop to loop) With a 7 I would say you could get away with 12,10 and then 6's out to the tip.

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.95.78.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 01:28PM

Rick,
I can be of assistance but would require some further info
Rod length or blank specs
Max tippett (estimate)

Priority from high to low
Distance
Accuracy
Durability

Additional
Connection size concerns

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-75-205-5.myvzw.com)
Date: December 15, 2008 01:03AM

What Scott said is likely as large as you need to go. I went oversized on a LU/9'/7wt some years ago and it doesn't offer any advantages IMO, unless you like the sound of the line slapping around in the guides. No difference in casting distance, marginally more weight, very annoying "loose" feel while casting and stripping. Stay on the smaller end, especially if your going with ceramics.

I used TiCH (or whatever chem letters) coated singlefoot wire guides, the shape of ceramics MAY be easier to pass a knot through versus the wire guides. The larger guides wire guides that I used didn't make any difference although some say they do. If I re-do this one, it'll be along the lines of the advice in the preceeding post, perhaps a size smaller just to experiment.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2008 07:48AM

I would go with REC single foot recoils - #3 at a min - #4 at a max. If there is a chance you will wish to overline, I would go with #4. They are so close anyway - unless they are side by side, too close to tell the difference. Also, use a REC recoil tip-top. The tip top is where you will really see the difference in weight.
The ceramics will make the rod too willowy, for me at least.

If you need, I will throw some #' 3, 4, 5. 6 on a copy machine and mail picture to you.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster