I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenwick World Class rod
Posted by: phil mccartney (208.102.90.---)
Date: December 13, 2008 10:02PM

I recently bought a 9 foot 8 weight 2 piece World Class Fenwick with two tip sections. It has a serial number of A01426. I'd like to know when this rod was made, and if it was routinely sold with two tip sections or if an owner managed to get an extra one on his or her own. I contacted Fenwick with these questions, but was told it was made in 1960 or 1961, and I know that is well before the rods were actually sold.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenwick World Class rod
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2008 02:21AM

Vic Cutter now with Pac Bay used to be with Fenwick. Maybe you can give Vic
a call he might know.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 14, 2008 04:46AM

I built on a few World Class blanks back sometime around the mid to late 80's. As I remember they were the newest thing out by Fenwick at that time. I dont remember them coming with two tips. That serial number does not seem to suit that rod.

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2008 07:40AM

Early through mid-1990's.

They did not come with 2 tips, so someone managed to somehow pick up an extra. Check the fit on the tips - see where each seats on the butt. My guess is that he broke a rod (butt) and then bought or received another and kept the original tip section. I'll bet it seats a bit differently than the other one.

Posted by: phil mccartney (208.102.90.---)
Date: December 15, 2008 02:35AM

Thanks for the feedback. One tip section seats 6 1/2 inches onto the butt section, and the other seats 6 1/4 inches onto it. They both seem to match the butt section well, although I have not cast the rod as yet. Too cold out !

Date: December 15, 2008 08:25AM

Something is wrong with both tip sections if they seat that far down over the butt. A couple to 3 inches maximum would be expected.

Posted by: phil mccartney (---.nku.edu)
Date: December 15, 2008 03:42PM

I also thought it sort of strange that the tip sections would seat so far onto the butt section, but because both were about the same in that regard, I thought it was okay - just different than my very limited experience would lead me to believe. The total length of the assembled rod with either tip section is over 107 inches, but less than 9 feet. Again, I thought Fenwick might have rounded it up to 9 feet as the butt section indicates. I am a little afraid to cast the rod at this point, even though I did not detect any wobble in the mating of the sections.

Date: December 15, 2008 09:08PM

If they seem to mate snugly and there is no "tick" nor wobble, you might as well try it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: January 11, 2009 02:06PM

That is a lot ! I wonder if they are made that way - If they are to be trimed- or the tips are for a larger butt section ???
Talk to who you bought it from. Don't sound right ?

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster