I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shortening a Spey Rod
Posted by: Gary Braun (---.dsl1-field.roc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 11:11PM

I'm tossing around the idea of shortening a spey rod by 8-10 inches. It's currently a 9 weight - 13'2" rod. Am I correct in thinking that if I take 8-10 inches off the butt section the rod would be more towards an 8 weight. Would the performance of the rod be affected if I was to do this. Is there any reason that I should not consider modifying the rod. Thanks for any input that is provided.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shortening a Spey Rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 11:25PM

Just curious why not just build another rod the size you want. There will be others chime in, but you will be changing a lot of the characteristic of the rod you have now. My personal opinion I would just build another rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2008 07:49AM

If you run a Common Cents Measurement on it, at any length, you'll know exactly what you'll have even before you trim it.

Shortening from the butt will reduce the power a bit. It will also create a slower action. If you plan to trim and then test, then I'd take a couple inches and try it. Then a couple more, etc.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 07:54AM

You will definately change the way the rod feels and handles certain lines- but it seems that that is O.K. with you. I just built on a 10' 6" singlehanded spey blank that is going to be used as a switch rod. I experimented with it by temp. attaching guides in a secure fashion and casted while moving hands in various positions up and down blank. I untimately decided to add 6" to the butt so I could access the more powerful butt section. I am buying another identical blank and building it as a 10' 6" switch rod. I think it will handle the same line but I think, by experimenting with the rod I now have, that my loops will be tighter and I will be able to generate more line speed.
If I were you I would attach guides and cast gripping the blank in various psns. to determine the length you like the best.
BTW - the reel sits on the ground while you cast so the balance may be off. After you think you are O.K. with the hand psn just tape the reel where you will put the seat and try it again.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 07:56AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 12, 2008 12:20PM

Gary,

Depending on the taper <> Removing 8 to 10 inches from the butt end of a two handed fly rod could dramatically alter the targeted flex and power intended for this rod.

Most two handed fly rods can have rather complex tapers: They are often meant to be use specific, with tapers designed for efficient delivery of various families of two handed line systems.

Removing that much material from the butt section of the a 13'0' rod could totally alter it's original power and flex, and to do so blindly may not lead to a happy ending for you.

Many two handed fly rod blank tapers actually increase flex, and decrease power (beyond true progressive) in the bottom 1/4 of the blank to allow eficient power transfer into the cork when under full line load.

Removing the mentioned amount of material from the bottom section of the blank can actually increase the targeted grain carrying capability of the blank by 100+ grains: Turning a 13'0" rod with a grain window of 550 to 800 grains into 12'0" rod with a grain window of 650 to 950 grains.

This being the exact opposite of your intent.

The most effective means by which to accurately determine the present flex and power throughout the entire length of your blank would be to do as Tom suggests: Use the common cents system, or a similar approach to map the blank and determine a benchmark.

How you will then wish (or actually be allowed) to further alter that benchmark to meet a trageted goal can then be done so with a degree of calculated accuracy by logging mapped performance.

This is how blank tapers are designed.

Modifying blanks tapers to reach a targeted goal is fun, and a very good hands-on means by which to educate yourself and increase the understanding of why blanks do what they do under line load.

... But this is most efficiently and safely accomplished within a controlled format, and utilizing a system like "common cents" will allow this control.

Other wise you may be simply making a wild guess, hoping for the best ... And may sacrifice the blank in doing so.

Just my thoughts here.

Bob Meiser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 01:02PM by Bob Meiser.

Posted by: Gary Braun (---.dsl1-field.roc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 12, 2008 03:48PM

Thanks for all the input provided. It looks like I have quite a bit of research and testing to do before I start trimming. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster