I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question Regarding the Right Type of Epoxy for Reel Seats
Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 07:18AM

Greetings. I have to build three fly rods this weekend as Christmas presents for my God sons and brother. I have always used a long curing
epoxy such as rod bond or kardol for reel seats and cork. But I was recently told by some custom surf rod builders that 5 minute expoxy
works fine. I also see that there are some "intermediate" epoxies out there that cure in 15-30 minutes.

Being somewhat fumble-fingered it takes me a long time to build rods and these have to be ready by Monday.
If I could use a faster curing epoxy than Rod Bond or Kardol, it would save me a bunch of time. However, I don't want to build any shoddy rods
as presents. I also realize that fly rods with their constant flexing might be somewhat different than surf fishing rods with respect to the "pressure"
they excert against a reel seat.

So my questions to the group are:

Is five minute epoxy an adequate epoxy for securing reel seats on a fly rod?

If not, would one of the 15-30 minute epoxies work?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question Regarding the Right Type of Epoxy for Reel Seats
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 07:42AM

They would probably work, but you would be better off using Quick Bond. It is a 10 min. version of Rod Bond. Great stuff.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 11, 2008 08:00AM

Tom,
Scott's suggestion of the quick bond is spot on. I can tell you before I started using it, I had been using the Devcon 5 min. The only limitation with the Devcon will be having all the parts ready to go. You don't have much room for error in the assembly as it sets up QUICK. I had used the 5 min for almost the last 5 years on a couple hundred rods and have yet to have a single failure with it. I only changed because I wanted a bit longer to fiddle with things and the quick bond allows me to do that. If you do go the 5 min route just ensure that you have a proper break free surface and you should be fine.

Tom Kaufmann

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2008 08:42AM

Almost any epoxy is strong enough for what we do with fishing rods. The new Quick Bond (faster setting version of Rod Bond) will set in about 15 or so minutes and is set hard enough to handle and work with in an hour or so.

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 10:38AM

I have used 5 minute several times with out fail but it sets quick. I started using quick bond a while back and like it much better. It is still fast but you have more time to work with it. If you don't have time to get some for these projects I would just use what you are familiar with, but look into getting some in the future.

Matt White

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 10:58AM

Lamar 15 minute Ultimate Gel

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 11:33AM

I'm the 5min FC or 15min Lamar Gel kinda builder. I love the speed of it and use the 5min 90% of the time. I have my parts READY, everything laid out perfectly, and even clean up soaked towels ready before I even mix the 5min. Doing so, is a must with the faster setting epoxy's.

I have recently heard that the 5 or 15min type products do not have enough flexability to use on SMALLER high stressed items, and I will use Rod bond for those in the future.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 11, 2008 11:54AM

I guess that I'm just not in that much of a hurry. I'm a klutz, so for me their just is no upside for using a 5 min epoxy (except for epoxy foregrip ramps). It's not a matter of strength or flexibility, it's just a matter of covering my but!! I only use Rod Bond or Ultimate Gel and am getting ready to try the Quick Bond. I much prefer the stiffness and ability to stay exactly where I put of the Gels.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 12:59PM

I use the lamar 15 minute most of the time

but i've used all varieties of devcon when in a pinch with no issues

Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2008 08:17PM

My thanks to everyone for their advice. I did order some Lamar 15 epoxy but unfortunately, it did not yet arrive.

To the Rod Bond I go. Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster