I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First guide on SJ6400
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 09:48AM

If setting one of these up for 4lb braid and a Shimano 750 size reel, would you start with a BYAG16 or go down to a 12 for the first guide? Also, do I need a two guide transition for line that small? I will using BLAG4 running guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First guide on SJ6400
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2008 10:43AM

Casting or spinning reel? I'm not familiar with that model.

If spinning, you should start with a guide that is roughly 1/2 the diameter of the reel spool. Much less and you won't get the height required for a straight line path.

With line that light and supple, you can get away with a smaller guide, but the height remains a consideration.

The placement of the choker guide, based on the spool diameter and factor of 27, will dictate how many transition guides you need.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 11:07AM

The reel is spinning. Shimano makes some of their models in that size, but not all of them. I have a Sahara 750 and it is LIGHT! The size of the spool is about 37mm so a BYAG16 is pushing toward the smaller end; and 27 x 37mm will put the choker guide about 39" out. I have a feeling I will go BYAG16, 8 then BLAG4s; but I'll get various sizes and see.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 12:03PM

Marty you could possibly get by with a 12 or 10 if you used a guide similar to the Batson BMLG or the Pacbays [www.rodbuilding.org] . Tom's correct the height of the guide will dictate where and which one of the guides can be used as the stipper guide with the new guide concept.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2008 02:38PM

Marty -

I have one that I use personally. The reel is a Shimano Saros 1000 paired with 6# Stren MagnaThin. It is one of my favorites for bluegill fishing. I built it with a #20 butt guide. However, you could go smaller - however, placement becomes more critical IMO.

Jim -

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.omega12.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 10, 2008 09:19PM

I have built countless rods on this beautiful IMX blank.

T-YSG 16, 8L T-LSG 4 all the way. Tip must be T-FST 5.5 ( 1.8).

Butt handle: max 5"
Fuji IPS or VSS 16 reel seat with no foregrip.

Butt guide must be at least 20 to 24" away from reel.

Shld be excellent for reels 1000 and smaller.

Cheers,

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2008 09:46PM

Use a high frame 20. Can't go wrong and it will allow you to move up to 6lb or 8lb later if you ever want to.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: December 11, 2008 12:20AM

High frame 20 or even a 16 for that tiny reel would be fine. Switch to a good braided line, and bump up your capacity, also the limper line will alow you to use the smaller guide with no probs. Anthony's setup sounds very sweet!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster