I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Build a sabiki rod?
Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 01:38PM

Would like to give a sabiki rod to a fishing buddy of mine in Florida in return for him including me on an annual speckled trout/redfish trip on his boat. I'd prefer to build the rod rather than simply buy one. I think I recall MudHole offering these blanks some time ago, but couldn't find them now. Anyone know who might have such blanks and components? I looked on the web and nothing obvious showed up. Also, is it worth building rather than just buying? Thanks.

Bilgee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Build a sabiki rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2008 02:08PM

They're simple to make. How long do you need yours to be? I plan to build one for my kayak and don't need any real length, so a cut off section of stout boat rod blank about 4 feet long will suffice. You shouldn't need a specialty blank unless you require a very long sabiki rod.

I believe Mud Hole also carries the taps which allow you to withdraw the jig rig into the tip of the blank.

Posted by: Jan Veenema (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 04:19PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 11:21PM by Jan Veenema.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2008 04:20PM

I forgot to mention that Donart Rods also has or can get the sabiki tiptops.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2008 06:57AM

Hey Bill, Tom..I don't know what a sabiki rod is. Can you explain it's construction and use for me?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 10, 2008 08:10AM

One definition - Many blue water boats that fish tuna use live bait - small hardtails - they will stop on the way out to the blue water and fish structure or a bouy for bait - the Sabiki, a long leader with multiple baits, may have up to twenty little tiny flash jig heads with a shiney attractant equally spaced with a heavy lead sinker on the bottom. The goal is to quickly catch as many of the baits as possible in a short time and place them in a live well for bump trooling for yellowfin. I build these rods on a 7' 6" 905 Blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 08:11AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2008 09:50PM

I have seen folks pier fishing with sabiki rigs, before in Myrtle Beach. I don't know if they were after bait to use on kings, or if they were after Spanish Mackeral. Thanks for the lesson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster