I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting rod rigged for vertical jigging
Posted by: Larry Rogers (---.ryancompanies.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 08:57AM

Good morning..
My first time on the forum and I have been building rods for about a year now. Tons to learn. I have a walleye fishing friend that saw a bait casting rod that "twisted" so that guides starting on top at the reel seat, turned 180 degrees at the tip to enhance vertical jigging. I'd like to give this a try and need some advice. Rod spline on top or bottom? Spacing and how much to turn the first guides to get the rest on the underside? My thought was to add a guide between the last two and twist two guides @ 60 and 120 degrees.. I'd appreciate your advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting rod rigged for vertical jigging
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 09:31AM

If you use the search function here, and search on spiral wrap, you'll get about a month's worth of reading.

Lot's of choices for methods, but a couple of suggestions to get you started.

The simple spiral, also described in rod maker magazine goes like this.

Place the guides on top as you normally would with your spacing preference.
Rotate all but the butt guide to the bottom of the rod (180 from the butt guide/reel seet)
Add a low profile guide half way between the butt guide and the next guide, and place at 90 degrees.

Flex the rod with line through guides and see that the line contacts the transition guide at the bottom. Some minor adjustment may need to be made to ensure that it is contacting the bottom of the guide and not the side. Rod spine is not important in this method as the guides on the bottom will overwhelm any spine effect.

There are several other methods. This one is easy to implement. The others involve a more gradual transition from top to bottom. I prefer these for casting rods as the line seems to flow better than with the simple spiral.

Go build.

Terry

Posted by: Larry Rogers (---.ryancompanies.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 09:56AM

I see what you mean! Thanks!

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 10:29AM

Also to let you know, the spiral wrap only makes the rod stable when fighting the fish. It will not have anything to do for enhancing vertical jigging.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2008 02:15PM

I would concur with what Terry said above, although you can rest assured that once the rod is loaded the first 180 degree guide on the bottom will indeed have the line contacting it as the load shifts to that area (which is the only time it matters). You should use the same size guides all along the bottom, or, one size smaller for the first 180 guide and one size larger for all the rest. But do not use any sort of progressive guide sizing. It's not needed.

The Simple Spiral allows the line to transition itself pretty much as it wishes. Other spiral wrap types, all good, actually fight the line a bit, keeping it up top and on the side of the rod longer than the line would prefer.

Tape up a couple different variations and see which one suits you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster