I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Delicate Business Problem
Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.mghl.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 02:44AM

I took a bamboo fly rod rebuild project a few months ago from a fellow that was referred to me. The rod is nothing special, but belonged to the man's grandfather, and he wanted it restored to "new" condition. I was paid 1/2 of the cost of the job up front, which covered all of my out of pocket expenses.

I'm almost done with the project, but I read in the newspaper today that the man was killed in a motorcycle accident.

I guess I'm looking for your thoughts on how to approach the return of the project. I'm of a mind just to finish it, return it to his widow complete, and let the rest of the cost go, but i thought I would get your input. One of my close friends said, it's still business, and you haven't gotten paid the price you negotiated.

What do you think?

Walt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Delicate Business Problem
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 06:01AM

Walt, my father owned a fence building business for many years and always had his chain saws repaired at the same shop. When he passed away the owner of the shop delivered one of my father's saw that he had recently repaired. He came by, paid his respects, and left the saw without accepting payment.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: December 08, 2008 06:13AM

My vote: deliver it, no payment. Eventually that kindness will come back to you

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 06:17AM

Walt, Tough situation to be in. If it were me (was in a similar situation a few years ago) I would finish it and present it to the family . You already have the parts covered. The widow may turn it over to another grandson as a keepsake. Either way it will get the word out that you are caring and may just generate some business. the friend that recommended you I`m sure would be impressed..

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 06:23AM

"I guess I'm looking for your thoughts on how to approach the return of the project. I'm of a mind just to finish it, return it to his widow complete, and let the rest of the cost go, but i thought I would get your input. One of my close friends said, it's still business, and you haven't gotten paid the price you negotiated."

That's what I'd do if it were me, return it and pay your respects to the family. And as Phil said the good deed will come back to you, follow your heart on this one.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 08:00AM

I do not know the price on the fly rod , the labor or parts ,but you get the idea. One old fly rod $50 , parts and labor $200 , One complete rod presented to the widow at no charge , Priceless . You answered your own question ,go back and read the bottom of your post again and listen to your self and not your friend . I hope some of your compassion will rub off on your friend . Everything is not about money .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2008 08:32AM

I think the others have given you good advice. But assuming for a moment that perhaps you can't afford to just give away your labor, I would wait a bit, then contact the family and ask them what they would like done with the rod. You may find that a son or brother, etc., might really like to have that rod and would be more than willing to complete the transaction to everyone's satisfaction.

You can never go wrong by being upfront and just speaking to the family personally.

Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 10:41AM

Walt,

Some good advice above. I would finish the rod, and hand present it to the family with your condolences. If they ask if anything was owed I would be upfront and let them know he paid for the parts and due to the circumstances nothing more is owed. It is the right thing to do. From a business stand point parts is what I can not afford to foot the bill on. Labor is free until I charge for it. In this case I wouldn't charge for it. That kindness will be returned to you 10 fold in the future.

Matt White

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 12:22PM

Walt,

I think you are in a great situation! It is no lose for you unless you count your labor. What a great way for you to be able to bring some joy into some ones life. I would do my best work ever on this rod. It will be a sad time for you and the family at the time you present it to them. There will be tears of joy for them and maybe even tears of sadness for you. or maybe vice versa. Just let the flood gates flow.

I know what the family will be going thru. My brother went on his first bear hunt, got the lucky shot in and passed away just a couple of weeks later. A short time later the taxidermist called and said the rug was ready.

You don`t know how we all cried with joy and sadness.

Go for it and God bless you!

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: December 08, 2008 01:55PM

If you give it back to them, the family and their relatives could always look back on the kindness of your deed and remember it as a good thing that happened during a terrible time. That's worth more than anything you will receive in terms of payment. Follow the right path and let your heart be your guide. Just my .02.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: December 08, 2008 03:38PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your counsel and the affirmation of my own feelings on the situation.

Walt

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 08, 2008 06:54PM

I agree with Fred and most of the others that it would of course be the thoughtful thing to do to finish it and deliver it without asking for payment. It could of course generate more business, good carma or whatever, but it could also help a family out in a hard time. That being said, it is a business and if you need the money then I would say you should find the number, call the family let them know the situation and ask them to drop by your shop, in that setting I believe that they will be likely to ask you what is still owed on the rod. Let them know that x amount is still owed but you understand that it is a hard time and potentially a financially difficult time so tell them not to worry about the cost if they cannot afford it. I'll bet you that they are more than happy to pay you for a family heirloom especially since it was obviously one of the last projects that their deceased family member undertook and just talking to them about what he wanted done with the rod and why could be worth all the world to them. Good luck, very difficult situation indeed.
James

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.swbell.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 08:07PM

Even if I needed the money I don't think I could accept payment for it if my out of pocket cost was covered. Yes I am religious and I believe that I would be rightfully repaid in the end. Some would do things differently but that is their cross to bear. The rod had great sentimental value to the guy and it will probably maintain that value to whoever it is passed down too. If they had not paid the cost of parts I could see asking for that but I am not sure if I could even ask for that. Many people have an extreme financial burden when they lose a family member, so I cannot see asking for the money for it. I would also take great care to make sure it was perfect.

Posted by: Andrew Toynbee (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: December 09, 2008 03:03AM

I once restored a rod for a co-worker's husband. The rod belonged to his grandfather, and he had been waiting for the right time to have it restored. I put in a LOT of work, installing new guides, and re-creating the decorative wraps. It turned out great, she and her husband were thrilled. I charged half of what I should have, and about two weeks after I was paid for the work, he lost his job when the mine where he worked shut down. I ripped up the check with no regrets. Chalked it up to good will, and practice.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 09, 2008 01:44PM

Walt,

In 2005. my beloved wife of 1 month shy of 20 years passed at 41 years of age. The same courtesy was paid to me on debts she owed. My point is: always remember, what goes around comes around!! Just my opinion from experience.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster