I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double Strippers. . .
Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 01:56PM

Is there a theory behind double stripper guides? I know that fly rods have them, now Seeker Rods has double stripper guides on their heavy tuna rods. I have heard that a double stripper adds more load.on the back end of the rod, "backload". for the tuna rod it adds more height above the long fore grip. I just built a tuna rod and was asked to put double strippers a la Seeker, so I am curious if there is any benefit or its just marketing hype.
Mahalo for your responses!
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2008 01:58PM by Jim Racela (J.AkuHed).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double Strippers. . .
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2008 02:14PM

Not sure I follow - fly rods have stripper guides and I don't think this is what you're talking about. Are you talking about 2 very closely places guides in place of where a single butt guide would normally be? If you have a photo of this and could put it on the photo page I'm sure you'd get some comments.

Of course you could also mock up a rod like this and see if can find any benefit.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 02:54PM

I think what Seeker has done is put 2 #3 a #2 and couple #1's on their rods. Benefits I don't know, once the line hits the first guide that's where the line lay's, if their using supper slow blanks where they bend all the way to the reel seat, then maybe a second #3 is justified. I have never put 2 strippers on a stand up rod and I have built myself a complete set of them, all IGFA approved and fished them all and never had a problem with the line coming down on the forgrip, all have 16" forgrips.
Like I say benefits I just don't know!
Remember just because a manufacture does something to their production rods doesn't mean it is for a real purpose, most of it is marketing hype.

Date: December 07, 2008 03:28PM

I can't imagine how 2 butt guides are going to affect the line getting on the foregrip - that's simply a function of the butt guide height. Adding another one up close behind that one isn't going to have any further affect.

Date: December 07, 2008 03:59PM

Well, I should have said "Butt Guide"! Stripper guide, especially when it comes to the fly rod is confusing.
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking. Tom, in reference to the fly rods, I remember reading some discussion a while back about having 2 "butt guides", not my area of expertise.
As for the Seekers, they use a Wind ON WO47 stripper guide as the first butt guide and the second butt guide is the heavy Duty HD51 stripper guide. By comparison, the taller WO47 puts line above the HD51. I don't know if you have a visual of this but that is the way they are configured.
I will see if I can link to the Seeker Wbsite for a picture.

Date: December 07, 2008 05:03PM

I'll have to take a look at it. I may ask Jim Upton why they do that. He should be able to find out.

Date: December 07, 2008 06:05PM

That's right! Jim Upton, the drgnmstr, is a Seeker Pro Staffer! If anyone can come up with an answer. its him!

Date: December 07, 2008 08:20PM

Jim is also their customer relations manager for about a year or more now. He was in Florida this past week and should be back home in a day or so.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 10:39AM

As told to me the use of the double stripper started with Milt Shed (AFTCO) on his personal rods. It was also used by another rod builder out here and one in Hawaii. The advantages are a straighter line path from larger reels. It keeps the line higher and off of the longer fore grips, seems to stabalize the rod and load the rear (stripper) section sooner.

There was a long disertation in the past on, I think, the Allcoast board. If someone can find that I think the whole history was discussed there.

Date: December 11, 2008 12:41AM

Thanks for the clarefication, Jim! I remember that thread, and looked for it but I its long gone since Allcoast changed hands. I seem to remember that Randy Penny, Seeker's design guy, was part of the discussion.
I wonder it a double stripper would help on Acid Roller rod?

Posted by: Jim Upton (98.112.212.---)
Date: December 11, 2008 07:51PM

That's the thread I was referring to and yes, Randy was part of it. To answer your question, I think you might be able to raise the line height but doubt you would gain anywhere else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster