I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel question
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 08:32PM

i was looking at some spinning reels and saw those US reels. has anyone tried them? any feedback? they are definitely light and not going to break the bank. they have a very large arbor and i am curious how that will affect using the smaller guides. using the new concept system i think straight line measuring instead of spool diameter may be the way to go. any comments or opinions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel question
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.27.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 09:34PM

The US Reels are nice reels. My wife has 2 and she loves them, I only wish they had a better handle. They hold an unbelieveble amount of braid and small diameter mono w/ a good drag system.

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: December 07, 2008 07:48AM

I set mine up with new concept system using spool diameter on a light surf rod. It work well. The reels have a very nice drag. I do not like the bail. Mine kept closing shut during a cast. Not so good.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2008 05:13PM

Contrary to their claims, the larger spool diameter reduces casting distance, a bit. It also works the drag washers a bit harder. Not saying they're bad reels, but there is some marketing hype involved.

Remember 15 or so years ago when everybody switched to smaller, longer spools for increased casting distance?

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: December 08, 2008 12:30AM

These US reels have the best drag in their price range. The return to the "larger dia. spool" design is their differentiator, but then, Penn never really stopped making those either. We haven't noticed a difference in casting distance - not just us, but most of the folks we fish with who have tried these reels.

I'm not sure about the spool-size vs effect on the drag washers issue. Van Staal and the new Accurate spinning reels both use the larger-spool-dia design and are almost universally rated as having some of the finest drag systems made. In the case of the Van Staal, Gary and I can personally attest to that.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2008 09:00AM

You misread my statement - nowhere did I say that the drags in those reels weren't good.

As the spool becomes larger, the drag washers could also become larger. Quick used to install very large diameter washers in all their spools. They gave up line capacity to contain those larger diameter washers which allowed them to distribute pressure and dissipate heat better. What many of the larger spool models have done now, is to actually put smaller washers in the spools, which means there is less surface area to distribute pressure and dissipate heat.

Granted, the larger spool can pay out the same amount of line with fewer revolutions, but a tremendous opportunity has been missed for including very large diameter drag washers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster