I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for ideas --- "kite" rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 04:46PM

A customer has asked me to build him a set of 4 "kite" rods to be used with Shimano TLD-30's for sailfish. I've never built a specific "kite" rod. I'm looking for recommendations - length of the rod; "action" of the rod; any recommendations for blank. Any/all suggestions welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for ideas --- "kite" rod
Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 05:12PM

Ken, A kite rod is basically a rod approx 3' in length very stiff with 1 guide and a tip. Now if you are looking for a rod for the TLD's then just build a live bait rod for the lb. line he will be using. For the sailfish a fast tip is always good with good backbone in the rod. About 6.5 to 7" long. That is my suggestion. Scott

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 05:13PM

Are you talking about the rods that fly the kite or the rods to be clipped to the kite ?

If it is the kite flier, 3' and stout, all it is doing is flying a kite.

If it is the other, then you'll be looking for a 7' fast tip live bait blank. I like the Super Seeker CLBF706.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2008 05:55PM

You could fly the kite off the reel itself, but generally you need to something to hold the reel and get the line away from the rod mount, thus, a short rod with nothing more than a reel seat, gimbal, and tiptop. A cut-off butt section from a light boat rod or medium duty trolling rod easily suffices. Most don't even have grips, although f you give it some thought, you might just be able to improve upon the commercially available kite rods in some way.

Because they mentioned the TLD's, however, I doubt they want the kite rods - Most people don't use such reels to fly kites. They pick an old Penn 9 or something. I think they want the rods that will be used to fight the fish. These can be standard sailfish rods such as you'd use to cast and fish for sailfish. 6 to 7 feet, fast action.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 07:22PM

K is two letters before the M

For this one as the newspaper add says:

Read All About It!

[knol.google.com]#

Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 08:50PM

Ken,
Here is a link. Use a 20 or 30 class blank and a trolling top with a unibutt and you are done. They do attach TLD's as well as Penn Internationals to them. Up here the guys that are using them wouldn't be caught dead with an old reel or anything that doesn't shine of gold on their boat. These guys are fishing in 500,000 to $1,500,000 tournaments every month so money isn't the object.

Ken, I have a couple of these rods sitting at the shop........ I think. Email me if you want to come over the bridge and see them
Here is the link to the Bass Pro Shops rod. If you got the "offshore angler" catalog this week, its on page 92 with the penn international on it. The one in the magazine is only 12 " long after the unibutt.
[www.basspro.com]
Email me.
Kevin Knox
kevin_a_knox@yahoo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 10:57PM by kevin knox.

Date: December 07, 2008 09:42AM

Thank you all. These are not the rods that fly the kite but those that ultimately fight the fish. This is a customer for whom I have built (and rebuilt/reconditioned) custom rods for in the past. He purchased a new boat (52 footer). He asked me to outfit the boat with rods (full range) to match the boat colors /name etc. The only rods that I had a question about were those that fly off the kites. I assumed (based on the targeted species - sails) that they would be "limber" - that is "light trolling / live bait type" rods but I needed to have that confirmed. Since I am committed to a full set I may suggest to him that other rods that I am already building may fit the need. As Kevin wrote above - money is not at issue. This is a tournament boat (ie: Internationals abound aboard) but the captain is a man who wants 'the right tool for the job'.

Kevin - where is "over the bridge"?

====================
Special thanks to Bill Stevens for the dictionary lesson. "P"(rofessional ... advice) comes 5 letters after K (the article speaks of technique not the rod type or design). LOL!

Date: December 07, 2008 10:46AM

The fighting rods for this type fishing won't be stand-up or heavy trolling types, but rather longer and faster tipped rods as mentioned above. You may indeed find a live bait type blank that would fill the bill for this.

Date: December 07, 2008 10:47AM

The fighting rods for this type fishing won't be stand-up or heavy trolling types, but rather longer and faster tipped rods as mentioned above. You may indeed find a live bait type blank that would fill the bill for this. Or, even a Hot Shot blank. But I'd look first at anybody's general 7' saltwater fast action blanks.

Date: December 07, 2008 01:07PM

Thanks Tom (and everyone else) -
I think I'm going to go with FORECAST SWB76ML's for this application. Light & fast but with the "shock absorbancy" of glass - These are supposed to be "fun fishing rods" (that is family use not tournament) and because I have them in inventory. They're a little long perhaps for this application even on a large boat so I'll trim them back to fit. Also these will fill a 'gap' in the other rods that I'm already building (light trolling, heavy trolling, jigging - and I can talk with the customer about considering these set up as spinning rods rather than with the TLDs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster