I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Measuring out rod bond
Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 12:12PM

How do you guys measure out rod bond? Have just recently started using it and am loving, but am struggling with measuring out the qty. So far, it's working for me, but would like to be a little more scientific with my amount than just a "glob" by eye. Tries measuring spoons last night and that was a mess. Was just curious how others measure this (or similar product) out for mixing.

Thanks,
Eddie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Measuring out rod bond
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 12:18PM

2 popsickle sticks and the eyeball glob :-)

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 12:43PM

Eddie this was asked by me a couple months ago and as your going to see "2 popsickle sticks and the eyeball glob". and it is the best way, but I keep getting to much, tried cutting back on Glob sizes but still had to much. Then it dawned on me to find the wooden coffee stir sticks smaller size and you can cut them in half. one stick for one mix. Some craft stores have the smaller size sticks also.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 12:54PM

Sticks!!! For real small amounts, I sometimes use toothpicks! The stuff is pretty forgiving (so is Ultimate Gel)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2008 01:03PM

RodBond was designed with a pretty good margin for error. Unlike most thread wrap epoxies, RodBond will still work and retain its designed properties with a 60-40 mix. Anybody with a decent eye and 2 popcycle sticks can get closer than that.

If you're simply a stickler for precision, buy some "mono-jet" syringes and pack with each part of the RodBond and dispense perfect portions.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 02:15PM

Another way for a precise measurement is to use little 1/4 teaspoon kitchen measuring aids and level off with a popsicle stick, then remove all the material with a popcicle stick, then clean the labeled spoons for re use. After doing that quite a few times... I learned the importance of the term "glob".....also,some jobs require just a "dab", others about a "glob and a half".

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 06:19PM

Eddie,
I had the same problem and looked for different solutions.
Finally, I picked up the perfect solution.
At a surplus store, I found some large sized syringes. These syringes are about 1 inch in diameter and about 3 inches tall.
I cut the tip off the plastic syringe, and then experimented with hole sizes in the bottom of the syringe. I think that I finally settled on a drill bit of between 3/16th and 1/4 inch. i.e. I pulled out the plunger and simply drilled a larger hole in the bottom of the syringe.
I kept experimenting, with the thickest part of the epoxy, drilling larger size holes.
I wanted a hole large enough to be able to quickly and easily suck the epoxy into the syringe, and push it back out on the mixing surface.

--------
Then, I picked out a piece of pvc tubing that was a nice loose fit for the syringe. These were used to make syringe stands. I simply drilled a tight fitting hole in a board to hold the pvc tubes. I made the pvc tubes about 2 inches taller than the length of the syring from bottom to the handle of the syringe. Since, I don't mix the epoxy in the syringe, it is not necessary to clean the syringe. After @#$%& up and pushing out the epoxy a or b - in its resprective syringe. I simply use a paper towel to wipe off the outside of the syringe.
Then, I pull the plunger to nearly the top of the sy ringe for storage. -- I don't want the syringe sticking at the bottom of the barrel.

I have been using this sytem for the last couple of years. I suppose that I will use some alchol to completely clean each syringe about every 6 months. Also, it seems that sometimes one of the syringes can build up some white milkey deposits on the bottom of the syringe. When this happen, I pull the plunger and use a piece of piano wire and alchol to completely clean out all of the residue.

When done, simply accurate and virtually no clean up required.

Take care
Roger

Date: December 06, 2008 06:21PM

p.s.
Since there is no tip on the syringe, I just barely immerse the end of the syringe in the epoxy to minimize waste and ease clean up. Of course, I insure that the syringe is far enough in the epoxy to avoid bubbles in the syringe. If you have a bubble, you have a different measure of epoxy in the syringe.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 07:39PM

Roger--- wouldn't mind seeing a photo of that apparatus.That might solve the problem of ending up with small amounts of epoxy here and there to clean up,no matter how careful you are.Or maybe that's just me!! <<<<DON>>>>

Date: December 07, 2008 12:16AM

Donald,
I could take a picture, and if you like I can certainly post one.
However, all that it is is a pair of large syringes.
Then, I have a pair of pvc tubes that are a bit larger and longer than the syringes taped together to store the tubes vertically, when not being used.

The tips of the syringes have been cut off and a 3/16th hole drilled into the end of the syringes to allow this larger hole to easily suck in and expel the epoxy.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 07, 2008 10:32AM

Roger-- I gotch yea now.I'm sorry. I guess when I was first reading it my mind for some reason was trying to incorporate something eles in there.I re-read it this morning and I understand what you was saying.
Thanks, and no need for the photo.Good Day<<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 07:00PM

WOW!!, I never knew we could do gobs, globs and other source of measurements. I always use a 1/4 teaspoon and scrape the top off for equal measurements. After messing some guide wraps earlier in life I thought everything should be carefully measured.

Sometime I may try mixing just a ``tad`` and see how that works.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (166.166.0.---)
Date: December 08, 2008 03:59PM

Thanks all for the feedback.

Roger, really apprecaite the in-depth explanation. That sounds like a great solution.

I have been doing the "by eye globs" and seems to be working well for me. Good to hear its designed for a 60/40 mix worst case.

I always keep my left over mix around to check the hardness and it has been hardening up good for me. I also test glue ups and everything is working well.

Thanks again,
Eddie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster