I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira Thread?
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 06, 2008 01:09AM

Has anyone tried or heard anything about the Madeira thread? I believe it only comes in size A. I have ordered one spool for practicing my wraps since I am a newby, but since I have never wrapped an entire rod start to finish or anywhere close to that, I have no idea if it holds strength, color, if it gets fuzzy when it is being covered in the finish. I tried it because the colors are awesome and the spools are 1100 yds for the same price as most companies 100yd spools. If you want to see the info on it or the color charts don't go to the manufacturers web site, I spent forever on their and got nowhere, instead go to mudhole.com and look for it there under thread. I would appreciate any help on the subject anybody is willing to give as well as any tips for beginners, things you wish you had known when you were getting started. Thanks.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira Thread?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 01:25AM

I use mostly Madiera Polyneon 40. It is very popular with rod builders. Much of the thread art posted on the photo page are done in Madiera.The size 40 is just barely smaller than A and is more than strong enough. You need to be aware that most sewing threads are treated with a silicone lubricant for use in high speed sewing machines so you will want to use a couple coats of CP before applying finish. Like any thread, it needs to be well packed (particularly lighter colors) to prevent blotching from the blank showing between threads. Play with some on a piece of scrap blank. Keep in mind that real light colors can still be a problem on a dark blank no matter what thread that you use!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 06, 2008 01:35AM

Does Madeira have that silicone lubricant? and to get around a dark blank showing through on light colored wraps, have you tried an underwrap with this stuff. Like I said I am new, so I don't know if it would work, but in theory it would make sense. Thanks for the help Mike.
James

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 06, 2008 02:01AM

What type rod are you building?? Unless you are building a heavy salt rod, I wouldn't use an under wrap. Just adds extra weight. Just pack your thread VERY good and use a couple good coats of unthinned CP

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2008 09:16AM

Maderia thread is not made for use on fishing rods, keep that in mind. I'm not saying it won't work or that you can't use it, but you will want to take some precautions.

If you do a search on this forum you should be able to turn up some tips on using it.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 09:29AM

James,
Ditto on what Mike wrote. I would use at least two good coats of CP if not three. Also keep in mind that CP is going to darken your thread by a shade or two. Using light thread over dark blanks is a pain in the butt for sure. To accomplish that I have put the guides on the rod and did a static test, then used a piece masking tape to tape off where I'm gong to start the wrap and a piece where it is going to end, then I take the rod and paint a light color in between the two pieces of tape. The color that you paint on your rod should be a very close match to the thread that you are going to use. If the paint doesn't stick very well to the rod blank then when you pack the threads the paint will come off and you will have to start over with the paint and the wrap. Like I said it is a pain in the butt but it can be done with a lot of patience and work.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 09:42AM

Being a new builder the Maderia may be a little tough master. I would recommend using a rodbuilding specific thread at first. Maderia has a lot more stretch that regular nylon or NCP thread. It can be a little tricky getting proper tension on a guide,using the specific thread you will get a feel for the tension and be better able to to do it consistently. Then I would move to the Maderia. I built plenty of rods before using maderia on the guides and it was a chore getting it all good, down right frustrating at times. Let alone the CP and finishing differences. This thread requires a lot more attention to detail than the others. Mudhole advertises it as rodbuilding thread but it is an embroidery thread at heart. No where on the Maderia web site will you find rod wrapping thread (at least the last time I looked).

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: December 06, 2008 10:18AM

Wow, excellent idea Terry, I do some airbrushing and painting under a light colored wrap would make a lot of sense, thanks Terry. And thanks to everyone else, I will for sure not do an underwrap unless on a salt rod and I will be very liberal with the CP. And Fred, I looked on Madeira's website too, and found the same thing, they probably barely know that their thread is used for rod wrapping. Thanks again guys.
James

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 07:14PM

Hello James,

Fred has a good point of using threads designed for the art of rodbuilding before advancing to Madeira threads. I use a similar thread manufactured by Amann USA (ISACORD) which is also an embroidery thread with about the same number of colors (315 to be exact) on my light weight fly rods. The colors are beautiful and really sparkle when CP is properly applied and then epoxied. But . . . .these types of threads need a lot of work and effort to make them look good and perform properly.

Start with any of the current brands of rod building specific threads and once mastered, then move to the Madeira or Isacord embroidery threads.

Good luck and keep 'em turnin'

Charlie

tightlinerods@aol.com

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: December 07, 2008 06:38PM

If enough rod builders contact Maderia and ask about untreated thread they might be able to get into the swing of things.

Here's a link to the Maderia web page that will allow you to contact them, don't know it will work untill you try. :)

[www.madeirausa.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster