I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

balance on light saltwater spinner
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 05:51PM

Because the search feature is still having problems, I am building a light salt water rod 9' 1-3 oz. lures but when I get the grip where it is comfortable for me the rod is tip heavy, very noticeable heavy, and no guides or finish yet besides moving the grip up is there anything else that can or should be done, bigger heavier reel, using Okuma live bait reel, very nice reel don't really want to change it, BUT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 07:34PM by Tim Hurst.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: balance on light saltwter spinner
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 06:24PM

MAke the butt longer. 9' shouldn't be a problem. The Okuma are quite heavy to being with, no? How long is the butt currently?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2008 06:26PM

That's a tough situation. If you really need to move the balance point back towards the butt, away from the tip, I'd advise using a larger and/or heavier reel. Plenty of all metal "hardbody" reels out and around these days and some are quite heavy.

Keep in mind that any weight you add at the extreme ends will have a greater effect than what you add anywhere else. So, an EVA or cork tape wrap installed on the butt may help bring that balance back a bit naturally.

By all means, I'd use the New Guide Concept so that you can keep the guide weight on the tip area to an absolute minimum.

In the end, of course, once a rod gets to a certain length and is of a certain power, it's going to be tip heavy.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 06:39PM

Soemthing to consider as well.

Now available from Batson Enterprises: the perfect way to counterbalance your favorite custom rod. Modern blank materials have allowed
designers to push the overall length of blanks to lengths unheard of in the past. Long rods allow for fishing presentations that simply cannot
be done with shorter rods, but it comes with a cost, rods tend to feel tip heavy. The design team at Batson Enterprises now has the answer;
a adjustable counterbalance system for today’s long rods.

It works like this, simply glue the top section of the system on the bottom of your handle assembly in place of your normal butt cap. Then
choose the appropriate weight to screw onto the bottom of the upper section, and go fishing. Suddenly you have a rod with the correct
balance and fish -ability. In the tables below we list some general guidelines on what size weight to choose.

CBS WT 2 1.20” (30.57) Plated Brass 2 oz. Up to 7’6”
CBS WT 3.75 1.30” (30.9) Plated Brass 3.75 oz.) Up to 8’6”
CBS WT 5.5 1.30” (30.9) Plated Brass 5.5 oz. 9’.0” & Above

click here: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Ian Scott (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2008 07:11PM

What search term(s) did you use? When I searched on 'balance' there were 2046 results.

Re: balance on light saltwater spinner
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 07:34PM

the butt is 12" now, I could go as far back as 10" butt, which I could live with, but it is still tip heavy. The reel is the Okuma Avenger ABF30 doesn't weigh much, I have heavier but don't want to use them for this.
Karry may have the solution with the weighted balance butt caps.

Until the rod board is fully restored not all functions for all web browsers will act the same.

Posted by: mike harris (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: December 05, 2008 07:51PM

How would changing the weight of the reel change the balance? The reel should be the fulcrum point so any extra weight is just extra weight for little or no balance improvement. We have been using weighted butt balance kits on our bass rods for some time, and I don’t see why they shouldn’t work on a saltwater rod. [www.rodbuilding.org]
The Batson weighted butts look pretty nice, but there are very large gaps in weight between the different sizes, my kits are adjustable in ¼ oz increments.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: December 06, 2008 12:47AM

Netcraft has a butt cap that comes with adjustable weights that go in the butt cap, all the way up to like three ounces and it is only $3.85. Check it out. It is called a Fuji Rod Balancer butt cap. This is the link [www.jannsnetcraft.com]. Good luck.
James

Hanapa'a - Ancient Hawaiian for Hook Up!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 12:18PM

Shortening the handle length is going to make it MORE tip heavy. Move the reel seat further up the rod and it will balance. 12" is a very short butt length, which is why your rod is tip heavy. Try moving teh reel to 15" and see if that helps. HAve you fished a 9' rd with a 12" butt length before? Any 9' rod with that short a butt is going to be tip heavy.

What grip matrial are you using? As Tom said, you can add certain grip materials which will add teh neccesary weight, EVA weighs the same thing as cork, so you might want to look at Hypalon, exotic burl, rubberized cork or somethign of that nature which is heavier. Honestly, I just think the butt is way too short for a 1-3oz rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2008 01:11PM

That is a very, very short butt length for a rod of that length. My 9' surf plugging rods have seats that are roughly 16" past the butt.

Posted by: Bill Larsen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 02:29PM

I agree with Tom and Billy , seems like a very short butt length. I have several 9' ers with 16" butt lengths . My 12' has a 24" butt length, which balances fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster