I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dumb ERN question on fly versus spin rods
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 05:15PM

I struggle with similar ERNs for different types of rods (blanks). In the CCS data for example, there is a 7' Rainshow IP840 which Batson lists as an ultralight, 1/32-3/16 oz lure that has an ERN of 8.03. In the fly rod section there is an Allstar 9' BAF908-4 8wt with an ERN of 8.15. And in the spin section there is another Rainshadow 9' XST-1084F that was built into a rod and it's ERN is a whopping 12.8. I Salmon fish with 8 and 9 wt flly rods, the 8 weight is fine if there isn't a real heavy current. The XST-11084 is a no brainer. The IP840 UL seems to me to be suitable for crappie and blue gills but the 8.03 ERN makes me think it could be used for Salmon - which makes no sense to me. The Allstar with an ERN of 8.15 should fish Salmon fine.

But with nearly identical ERNs, is the little IP840 going to accomplish the task the Allstar will - it's 2' shorter so I would think that helps it out. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dumb ERN question on fly versus spin rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2008 06:26PM

ERN is power. All those rods have similar power. But, they won't all fish the same because they are different lengths, actions, weights, etc.

One thing you do want to be careful of - the CCS figures given in the database were put there by rod builders at large. There is no guarantee that they are entirely accurate, although most seem to be reasonably so. If you see something that looks a bit off, it might be.

Until the manufacturers begin taking the measurements, you are relying on the work of other builders.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2008 10:40PM

Most of the power is in the butt section of these rods. So you might see a shorter and lighter rod that you might assume to be less powerful than the longer rods, but in effect it really does offer as much power as the longer ones. The Common Cents Measurements can't lie any more than a tape measure or weight scale can. So if the reading was accurate it is what it is.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 02:53AM

I built a fly rod with a IP840 blank. I measured the ERN at about 8.5. It casts an eight weight line just fine. Haven't caught a fish on it yet, though.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster