I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Remove permagloss blank coating
Posted by: Paolo Cevenini (---.43-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it)
Date: December 03, 2008 07:49AM

Hi everybody. I have here three blanks that I have refinished two years ago with permagloss, but the customer now returned to me because the pemagloss start to pell of in some spots, expecially on the top part of the rod when it receive much more sun exposure than the bottom (he fishes nearly 5 days per week). So, now, I have to remove all the guides and refinish all the three blanks completely. Have you have any idea on the safest method to remove the old permagloss? The previous coat was put on right prepared surface by scrap the blank with wire wool. Thans a lot.
Paolo Cevenini

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Remove permagloss blank coating
Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: December 03, 2008 08:51AM

Hello Paolo,
I have never scraped a whole blank, but I have removed PermaGloss from smaller areas by using a razor blade. Hold the razor at 90 degrees to the surface of the rod, and scrape length wise.
Ciao,
George

Posted by: Paolo Cevenini (---.43-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it)
Date: December 03, 2008 09:19AM

Thanks for the advice Geoge. Iam no familiar to this technique and I am concerned to not damage the blank, but i must try. Thanks again.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2008 10:27AM

If the PermaGloss is peeling off it shouldn't be hard to remove. But I suspect it has been "beaten" off in spots. If you prepared a water break free surface, the stuff is almost impossible to remove without some real elbow grease.

You might try one of the water based citris strippers to see if that will soften it. I haven't tried to remove PG with this method so I can't guarantee results.

Otherwise, you'll have to scrape it off. Just be careful not to slice into the blank - keep the razor or scraper angle at 90 degrees to the blank surface.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 12:48PM

If you only have a couple spots and the rest of the PG is stuck to the blank pretty good, you may take 1200 grit wet sandpaper and feather out the edges of the PG and just put down a new coat of PG. Work in between each guide and use the wrap edges as your stopping point and dont remove the guides or wraps. If the PG has been beat off, this should do rather well, if the PG is peeling off, you need to remove the guides and strip.

Try this on one spot and lay down a coat of PG over the just the spot and give it a good look, if it looks ok wipe it off and you can do each section "guide to guide" as needed. Depending on the color of the blank and amount of PG can make this method work or fail, test it!

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 05:38PM

Polo,
Just use a straight edged razor blade - held at 90 degrees to the blank.
As you work on each section of rod, use a hair dryer or heat gun to slightly heat the blank and finish. If you do use gentle heat, the finish will soften and make removal much easier.
Once you have worked over the entire blank removing finish - go over it with finer grads of steel wool to remove any residue.
Clean up and refinish.

Generally, you shouldn't have to spend much more than 15 minutes.

Remember the gentle heat to soften the finish - it makes the job so much easier.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 09:03PM

I would not use steelwool! Use a gray Scotch Brit scufff pad/
Good Wraps bob

Posted by: Mike McGuire (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 11:30PM

I have found that permagloss softens right up and is easy to remove with fairly gentle scraping with the application of heat, say from a heat gun. Just use as little heat as necessary to do the job.

Mike

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 12:39AM

Might have been a fluke, but I found it came flying off a rod that I was wiping clean with an alcohol soaked cotton ball. Did not want it to soften and come right off but it sure did. Have been nervous with alcohol around PG ever since. Fluke deal or the real deal I don't know!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Paolo Cevenini (---.42-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it)
Date: December 04, 2008 02:13AM

Thanks to all of you. Ihave much apprecited your help. The scraping tecnique work well, but is a little longer ( I don't have tried now with heat). Now I must talk with the customer to see if it is the case to use some stripper to put down the working time and so the cost for the total work. Thaks a lot .
Paolo Cevenini

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 08:21AM

400 grit sandpaper and light sanding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster