I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork filler
Posted by: Ron Petley (142.233.100.---)
Date: December 02, 2008 08:52PM

I want to make a fly grip with wood trim on both ends. I have used a preformed grip and cut the ends off and turn the wood trim to the shape of the ends I cut off to match them up to the cork part. my problem is when I match things up it needs a little sanding to make a smooth join.
When I sand the wood the cork gets sanded a little and if there is some filler in the cork it comes out. This makes the cork look not so good because it does not look the same as the rest of the cork. I tried wood glue and cork dust but it does not match well and is a pain to sand back down. What can I use to replace the filler?
Cheers Ron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork filler
Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 01:14AM

Use Elmers wood filler glue: Golden Oak

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 02:19AM

Not much help now but next time, you might want to either tape off the cork part or use a sanding block (wrap sandpaper around a small piece of wood) and carefully avoid the cork.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 06:45PM

Sir:
Follow Calvins advice on using the filler.
Then, rather than sanding, just wipe the cork down with acetone on a clean rag.
The acetone will remove the excess filler, without pulling filler out of the cork, and you will not have any scratches.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.org)
Date: December 03, 2008 07:08PM

Another trick is to use Cork Seal on the cork, which will darken it to a softter color a bit and probably match your wood quite nicely, unless the wood is a light shade of blond or something like that. The cork seal will also prevent the filler from coming off like that. You only need one coat and about 3-4hrs to let it dry and cure.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster