I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ice rod
Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 02:53AM

What do you guys think of building an ice rod from a section of broken off fly rod tip?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ice rod
Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 08:33AM

I build many of my ice rods from sections of rod blank. If you can find a section that works for you, use it.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2008 10:24AM

Jason,
For many years, using sections of blanks have been a very common and effective way to build ice rods.

In recent years with the avaiablity of custom "solid" blanks in both Graphite and Fiberglass, many of the ice rods are now being built with solid blanks, rather than tubular or hollow blanks.
A couple of advantages both ways.
With hollow blanks, the rods will be lighter. However, to get some of the rod actions - asked for by fishermen, the diameters of the blanks (hollow) need to be awfully small to achieve the ligtht power and fast tips that many good fishermen prefer.
With the very small diameters required of hollow blanks, the blanks become very easy to break, both during use and storage.

As a result, many many ice rods are now being built on solid blanks - both graphite and fiberglass. These blanks can be custom ground to achieve the appropriate power and action that woulld otherwise not be available in a hollow blank.

As Matt indicated earlier, fly rod sections as well as sections of other blanks work to make short rods. If you can find a section of blank to meet your needs for power and action go for it. Just be aware that in times past, many folks have used such blanks - and caught many fish - and as long as careful in the use and storage of their rods, had a very very long life with the rods. You will also find a lot of folks who either aren't happy with the power and or action of a short rod made with another piece of blank or end up breaking the rod, either through use, or accident or storage.

Certainly, if you have a blank available - build it, use it, learn from it, and above all - enjoy it.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: December 02, 2008 10:45AM

Jason, fly rod tips are used a lot for ice rods. Also, since many salt water anglers want oversize tip tops on their fly rods (for the knots) there are a bunch of oversize tip tops available for just about all fly rods. Add one of these to you ice rod to keep ice accumulation down.
Buzz

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 11:38AM

I was wondering what brand and typ of guides you guys recomend for ice blanks. I bought a bunch of St.Croix solid carbon blanks and want to keep them high end.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: December 02, 2008 12:07PM

I have yet to throw away any size tip from any rod I have ever aquired and believe me thats alot. I use them for friends and family and of course, myself. That way I can bring a dozen rods with me in case there is some kid on the ice that doesnt have one and wants to fish. You would be surprised the folks that bring the kids ice fishing but wont let them in the shack for one reason or another. I just drill a hole for them, rig them a line and let go. I do of course get permission from the parents who usuallly jump with joy as they dont have to worry about the kids. Works great.

Posted by: John Piccioni (67.214.231.---)
Date: December 02, 2008 02:09PM

I have make 15 ice rods with the St.Croix solid carbon blanks. They have been a great blank. I use exotic woods for the handles and Fugi SIC or Gold cermet titanium guides with extra large loop fly tops from Mudhole. They have performed excellent under harsh conditions.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2008 02:11PM

Steve,
With respect to the blanks.
About the only thing you have to worry about with ice rod guides is the size and weight.
There is never any casting, and very little line going through the guides, so there is no line wear issues.
If you are fishing inside, you can go with smaller guides and not worry about ice buildup.
If you are fishing outside, it is a good idea to go with larger guides to keep ice from freezing the line in place.

Actually stainless rings work about as well as anything. You just need something on the rod to hold the line in place.

Also, don't make the mistake of putting too many guides on the rod.
With the angle of the line etc. the first rod can be a good bit down the rod. Often, 3 guides are the right number for a typical ice rod.
If you have a very fast tip, you might have to put on one more rod to get the line to follow the blank.
Also, to avoid having the line feel "catchy" if using a spinning reel, it is sometimes to your advantage to use either a taller, or a larger - first guide to avoid this problem.
I have used many commercial rods, and many of them have this "catchy" line problems.

Although not common, the use of the very tall match guides of a few years ago, actually work very well for the first guide off a spinning reel to solve this line "catchy" problems.

Other folks want short guides for ease of storage and to avoid guide bending, at the expense of the line "catchy" issues.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster