I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new guy questions
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:02PM

built two rods last year and was pleased with my work, but saw room for much needed improvement.

this is my first spinning rod, (whole new ball game on guides with only one foot. I get started with wrapping the thread get up on the foot and look back and the beginning part has come loose just enough to not match. (why?) I have a fair idea but want to make sure.

also i tend to shake just a little, (old age) when i get to the smaller guides i figure i am going to have problems. especially with that small foot.
can I take a very small bit of the same epoxy i am going to use on thread, put it under the foot make sure my alignment is right and hold it with tape till it sets
I know its not the normal way but in my case i am hoping it will help.

One thing i have learned, red thread will let the foot show thru. should have covered the foot with a black magic marker, I really dont want to redo it but its nagging on me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new guy questions
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:17PM

As far as loose, you mean the threads came loose? Or is it the guide came loose? Sounds like you do not have enough tension on the thread. As for the smaller guides, as long as you get the wrapped somewhat close to the correct position and have the correct amount of tension on the thead, you will be able to move the guides to line them all up correctly. There is no need to have them be perfect when yo are first wrapping them.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:35PM

Jim, Get a stick of hot glue, heat it with a lighter. heat the guide foot, and put a very small amount of the glue on the guide foot, reheat and place the guide on the blank. After you get through wrapping the guide you can still make minor adjustments if the guide is not in line. You might want to purchase a video by Flex Coat called "How we do it." I know that Mud Hole Tackle (one of our sponsors) carries it. It is a great help for newbies.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:38PM

Jim, Flex coat makes an adhesive that is a hot melt just for that purpose. It is easy enough to break the foot loose after the thread is wrapped to align it.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.248.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 10:29PM

Second on the Flex Coat guide adhesive. I have trouble getting the guide foot to stay I place if I don't use it. I have short, fat fingers and this stuff works wonders for me.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 10:54PM

Here's a tip for you guys. When using the GF adhesive, heat the guidefoot and NOT the gluestick. Touch the guidfoot to the stick when t is hot and just a tiny bit of glue will come off onto the GF and then attach to the blank and hold there for a few seconds and it will stick.
Y'all already knew that, Im sure, but just wanted to offer the tip.
Kevin Knox
NERBS
[northeastrodbuilders.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2008 11:46PM

Jim,

You're not far from me, nor Buddy Owens who must live within 5 minutes of you. Either of us can show you how to easily hold any guide, even a micro guide, with a simple piece of masking tape. I've shown even long time builders this and they seem to be amazed that they overlooked what is really a very simple process.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster