I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Urethane foam grip question
Posted by: Brandan Martin (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 05:59PM

At last years expo in NC I bought a mold from Scott Parsons and just tried it out for the first time. I bought 8# urethane foam and my first try came out heavy as an anchor!! I mixed a good amount of foam and filled the 1 1/4 pvc just under half way to the top. I put the plug and washer on and screwed it down. The mold came out great looking, just heavy. The color was a dark yellow compared to a small amout of waste foam that was not in the mold. I made a second mold using much less foam and did not put the plug in until after it was spilling over the top. This was very messy and the top third of the mold is not very smooth. It did come out substantially lighter then my first try. Can someone tell me what I did wrong and how to fix this?
Thanks,
Brandan Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Urethane foam grip question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2008 08:05PM

I would steer you to the article in RodMaker Magazine on forming foam grips. With the method presented there, you are not confining the foam and will receive the density listed on the foam component kit.

What you have done with the mold, is confine the foam into a closed container which will result in a much heavier than required grip. The 8lb foam only delivers that density when used in a non-captive mold as outlined in RodMaker.

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 08:06PM

Try pouring 3 or 4 ounces of foam in. It just doesn't take much and if you pour too much into your pvc mould and cap it off, you have quite possibly just made a bomb.

Date: November 30, 2008 08:43PM

I don't think i made a bomb. More like a iron pipe!!! Tom, I did try to follow the directions in RodMaker Magazine, but I was not sure what to do with the cap. I'll try another one tomorrow with any cap on it. I was very suprised how hard the second one came out. I thought it would be much more brittle.
One more question: I had a few holes in the grip. Should they be filled prior to putting the skin on? Is there a method to eliminate these holes? Again, I did read the article and understand the timing of the pour to eliminate voids. I think I did this step fine.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 08:51PM

Brandon, When I first started reading your post I thought you might have split the mold. What has happened is that you used way too much foam. I believe you have the 1 1/4 x 12" mold you only need to use grams not ounces of material. I don't have it here in front of me but with the 8lb try 20g of B and 23g of A the mixture is 1.15g of A to 1g of B. with it not right here in front of me A is the thinner of the 2 liquids. FYI for most grips I use the 4lb material and with my molds and the way it forces the foam to stay in shape, I have been experimenting with 2lb foam with excellent results also. email me directly and I will be glad to help you further.

Date: November 30, 2008 09:13PM

Brandon,

The article in RodMaker showed a non-captive mold - there is no cap. I suggest you read it again.

Date: November 30, 2008 10:17PM

Tom,

I know the article did not have a cap. I bought a mold that did have a top cap and was unsure how to deal with it. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 10:51PM

Scott,
With the lighter foam, are you using the heavier skin?
Steven

Date: November 30, 2008 11:20PM

The mold you purchased was not part of the article. The foam is not intended to be used in a captive mold. Per the foam manufacturer's instructions, it's not recommended

Having said that, you can confer with Scott on how he's using such a mold and what you can do with it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster