I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy sags, what now?
Posted by: Eric van den Berg (---.ip.telfort.nl)
Date: November 30, 2008 04:38PM

Hello,

I gave my wraps a fourth and final coat of Flexcoat lite last night. Up till now everything went OK but in the process of drying that last coat my motor gave up on me while I was having fun in the local bar with my mates. I know, there's a lesson to be learned here... ;-)) Damage isn't that bad but on the first two guides on which I obviously applied most coating a sag has formed which I really cannot live with. How would you guys proceed from here? I guess sanding it down? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy sags, what now?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 04:40PM

Sand it down but use a small piece of wood for a sanding block. Be sure not to go all the way to the thread. In emory board for fingernails works pretty good also. When you recoat, you'll never notice.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 05:59PM

CAREFULLY trim the excess off to shape with a sharp razor blade taking care to NOT cut the wrapping threads, then re-coat.

DR

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 07:34PM

You just recieved the best advice.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: December 01, 2008 08:30AM

Yup...shave the sags...maybe even sand a little to get it fairly smooth...recoat.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 10:00PM

Eric,
Generally, the best luck that I have had in such an unfortunate situation is to use a straight edge razor blade to scrape down the epoxy.
Use the razor blade at 90 degrees to the blank carefully scraping the epoxy.

It is not a bad idea to put a few wraps on each end of the epoxy coating, to avoid the possiblity of having the blade slip and scratch the blank.
Work slowly and carefully, and you will be able to work down the sags in a few minutes on each wrap.

Wipe down after scraping with a anchol towel and let dry.

Then recoat and you should be good to go.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster