I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative guide wraps.
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 01:23PM

While surfing the photos pages, I noticed alot of really nice guide wraps. Some are very intricate and appear, at least to me, to be very time consuming. I also noticed that most of the guide wrap photos are of the stripping (butt) guide. I understand that this is the easiest guide to photograph and post but was wondering if you guys also do the rest of the guides the same way. Some look extremely complicated to be doing on the small diameters close to the tip. Or, are the rest of the guides a simple variation of the stripper guide pattern. Just wondering because some of these patterns look like they would appear loud if done all the way up the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative guide wraps.
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 30, 2008 01:39PM

Most cross wraps are done in the area of the fore grip and/or the area between split grips. They are generally not done on guides. They can be very time consuming, depending on the complexity. There is a super book on Decorative wrapping written by Billy Vivona which really goes into detail and contains a LOT of the patterns you see on the photo pages

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 02:42PM

Greg, I'm not sure who you are referring to with teh nice guide wraps, but mst of the people I know doing them do them all the way to the tip, including wrapping the tip. I try photographing the tip but it never comes out that good. Most of the guide wraps I think you are talking abotu are done on larger diameter blanks, and most have underwraps, although not always. I like to time stuff, I know there are rods I built which I spent 45 minutes wrapping teh guides, which include the under & overwrap.

The sickest guide wrap I have seen is one done by Sean Endres >>> [www.rodbuilding.org] HE had to space everythign in teh underwrap PERFECTLY, so that whe he put the guide on and finished the overwrap, tehy matched up perfectly with teh underwrap. That guide wrap has to be seen in person to be appreciated, teh entire rod has these guide wraps and it looks insane.

Date: November 30, 2008 03:03PM

Billy, it sounds like you are saying that most do cross wraps on ALL of the guides!! I don't think that I've ever seen that

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 30, 2008 05:22PM

Mike, he never asked abotu a cross wrap, only a guide wrap. I assumed he as referrign to the photo I posted of Sean's guide wrap. If he posts again specifically what he's referring to, it mightbe clearer adn we can help him out wiht info so he knows how to do it as well.

FWIW, here's the only rod I did wraps on from butt to tip. Looks crappy imo:\[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 30, 2008 06:30PM

Oops!!!! My mistake. I thought he was referring to butt wraps!! I guess I should read a little slower before I type!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: November 30, 2008 08:01PM

Yep, I'm referring to guide wraps. I never thought of trying St. John's Cross on the new micro guides near the tip but I guess it could be done (ha). Thanks guys for the opinions. Sean's wrap really is neat but it had to consume alot of his time. Where do you find time to fish?

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: December 01, 2008 07:40AM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The sickest guide wrap I have seen is one done by
> Sean Endres >>>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> HE had to space
> everythign in teh underwrap PERFECTLY, so that whe
> he put the guide on and finished the overwrap,
> tehy matched up perfectly with teh underwrap. That
> guide wrap has to be seen in person to be
> appreciated, teh entire rod has these guide wraps
> and it looks insane.

Wow, that is insane, i have enough trouble just doing trim wraps and simple thread inlays. I cant imagine how much time that must have taken. So I have a newbie question, How the heck do you do that? Do you wrap and tie off each band separately?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2008 07:43AM by Phil Brenner.

Date: December 01, 2008 10:59AM

THere are a couple of ways to do it, one is the way you suggested. TEh otehr is to just pick up and drop threads. It's a waste to type how to do it, you need pictures to see. Advanced Custom Rodbuilding is how I learned to do this technique, adn teh April/MAy 2000 issue of Rodmaker has a page dedicated to showing how this technique is done. IT is the issue with teh Shaded Chevron on teh cover.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2008 02:33PM

To answer his question..............tone it down a notch as you go up the blank. Make the gathering guide the signiture wrap. Waste of time? Big time. Wrap in all Black and forget about it.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: December 02, 2008 03:50AM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THere are a couple of ways to do it, one is the
> way you suggested. TEh otehr is to just pick up
> and drop threads. It's a waste to type how to do
> it, you need pictures to see. Advanced Custom
> Rodbuilding is how I learned to do this technique,
> adn teh April/MAy 2000 issue of Rodmaker has a
> page dedicated to showing how this technique is
> done. IT is the issue with teh Shaded Chevron on
> teh cover.

Ok, cool, I will be ordering a back issue of rodmaker and advanced custom rodbuilding. Thanks. Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster