I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tru-oil or spar
Posted by: Jim Catrona (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 06:39PM

Which one would you folks recommend using on a reel seat made from osage?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tru-oil or spar
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 06:58PM

About 10 coats of sprayed on laquer about 30 minutes apart. Let cure for a week then sand to 600 grit and polish with a good automotive swirl remover or Novus 2 which is what I use. You will get a durable and high gloss shine.

Lance

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 07:10PM

Lance, to an inexperienced woodworker like myself, laquer seems to be a generic term. Can you elaborate, maybe provide a name brand?

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 07:56PM

Jeff, sorry about that. I use Deft brand laquer in a spray can. I also buy it by the quart and thin it with laquer thinner and spray it from my airbrush. That's only when I have several pieces to do at once. I mostly use Gloss and Semi gloss. Semi gloss on lighter woods and Gloss on darker woods.

Lance

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 09:51PM

Tru Oil!! Way tougher finish, you can also use perma gloss on real seats which would probably be the best all around finish, to give you the best of both worlds. Tru oil would bring out the colors in the wood best though, in my opinion at least.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 10:06PM

Since you airbrush why not just use a polyurethane clear that is used on cars. flexible and you can poor gasoline on it and it is protected. Check out PPG your local auto paint store or shop. Heck if you want to go cheap, and easy, thin out thread finish, brush on, sand, another thin coat, and it shines like glass. Works on threads !! Several days in between coats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2008 10:08PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2008 11:16PM

Tru-Oil is easy to use, works well and holds up very well in an exterior environment.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 12:09AM

Bill touched on something that I've been working with, casting resins. EasyCast by Envirotex provides a tough, glossy finish. I turn the wood past the desired target dimension, build up two coats of EasyCast (only around eight hours between coats while turning on my dryer). Then sand down to target dimension using progressively finer paper, then auto polish.

Jeff

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2008 05:32PM

One thing you need to know is that the pretty color of osage orange is very photosenstive. When exposed to sunlight for a while it is gonna turn brown. So you need a finish with a lot of UV inhibitor. Exterior spar varnish might work. Some turners use automobile clear coat because it has a lot of UV inhibitor. I like Tru-oil, but for Osage orange I would try the spar urathane and be sure to pick one that says it has UV inhibitor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster