I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Creep with Alum Pac Bay chuck
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bos-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 07:22AM

I read on another site that there are some issues with the Aluminum Chuck on the Pac Bay Rod wrapper.
It seems that the rod blank unscrews itself. The correction is to make sure that everything is level. Anyone having this problem? Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Creep with Alum Pac Bay chuck
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2008 07:32AM

Bill;
Yes I have, but I don’t think it has anything to do with being level. I think it comes from play in the wheel supports that allows them to be cocked a little to one side or the other creating an “unscrewing effect” effectively pulling the rod out of the chuck.
If you are having problems take note to which way your blanks are turning, and make sure you turn them the opposite direction when drying and the same effect will keep the blank screwed in.
I also run a strip of tape around my chuck teeth when using it to dry a rod. That way it cannot come loose when I’m not around

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 11:34AM

Level the blank, but remember to measure and not use a bubble level because of the tapper of the blank. Also you don't need to over tighten the chuck. I think the supports have something to do with it as well. I dry going counter clockwise and have not had much issue with it

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2008 07:51PM

Ah Yess... The Pac Bay Chuck question. I have tried everything and now simply streach a small shock cord from the real seat or a loop made of blue tape over to the chuck. With the addition of a piece of tape around the chuck for good measures, I forget about the whole thing. No problems.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 10:56PM

Steve, Do you think turning the supports around would help? Would it then push the rod into the chuck? i would try it and let you know but the shop is in a state of disrepair at the moment and the wrapper is at the bottom of the pile.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 10:56PM

Bill,
I had similar problems on both the pack bay as a couple of other chucks that I have.
I solved the problem, by using sticky back cork tape on the face of the chuck jaws.
The cork against the butt of the rod, keeps things from slipping at all.

Take care
Roger

Date: November 27, 2008 08:04AM

Fred;
Never though about it, makes good sense would also eliminate having to reach across the blank to tighten down the locking nut.

I've just always reversed the rotation direction. I should be finishing up some to morrow and will try it.
Thanks for the idea!

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.37.228.142.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 11:22AM

I also noticed that the chuck stand itself was not square to the bed/supports!! It was slightly crooked and the rods loosened constantly. I also use double sided tape on the jaws and put masking tape over the butt so I don't have to worry about gumming it up from the double sided tape. I found little tabs that are a perfect fit for the rubber jaw pads at my local Ace hardware store!

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2008 01:21PM

You guys keep mentioning the changing of the direction of rotation.

I have a wrapper/dryer that is supposed to reverse direction when the switch is turned on and off.

After repeated switch operations, mine still turns in the same direction.

Am I missing something? C2

Date: November 27, 2008 09:53PM

Charlie
try rotating it in the difrection you want it go and turning the switch on at the same time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster