I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any Need for Water Soluable Threads???
Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.76.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 25, 2008 10:24PM

Is there a possible need or use for a water soluble thread. This thread would provide temporary structural integrity and then dissolve with water. It is a wash away thread.

Many Thanks,

Robbie Smith
FishHawk Threads

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any Need for Water Soluable Threads???
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 25, 2008 11:39PM

Robbie what happens to it with thread finish? I guess what I mean does it dissolve with epoxy or does it go transparent, if it dissolves is the material still there or does it turn liquid? Might be useful for thread less look wraps. Just some quick things I thought of.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 26, 2008 02:33AM

Used with some types of baits to keep it together during the cast.

rods ?

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 26, 2008 05:20AM

Popular with carp fishermen to introduce loose feed (chum/berley) around the hookbaits. Attached to the rig, then it dissolves in the water, leaving freebies around the hook. Works best with dry baits, for obvious reasons. PVA string/ mesh bags are commonly used for this.

Can't immediately see a use for it in rodbuilding. Maybe to hold guides in place prior to wrapping, simply wipe off with a damp rag once the feet are secured?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 09:02AM

As Ted said, if it dissolves when epoxy is applied, it might be ideal for holding guides in place.

Actually it's probably really useful for people who do weaves and are afraid of the threads moving when CP is applied. Also on Decorative Wraps where you notice the threads puffing up due to loss of tension.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 09:11AM

I would think that if it dissolves when epoxy is applied you will see the residue of the thread in the finish,,,

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2008 10:03AM

Epoxy thread finish will not hold guides to the rod. Permagloss will, but epoxy will not.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 10:22AM

I'm just curious, if anyone has actually tried to hold guides with just epoxy? There is no question that it adds some measure of strength, because if it didn't when teh rod was turned over the guides would fall off due to gravity.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2008 10:50AM

I have. I performed the same technique with epoxy, 3 different brands, that we outlined in RodMaker for the Permagloss threadless wraps. In all cases, those guides put on with epoxy could be snapped off without a great deal of effort. I would not trust them in any fishing situation.

Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.76.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 26, 2008 02:55PM

I just got a message from someone who wants to use this thread to modify his girlfriend`s bikini!! Seriously, if someone wants to be the guinea pig and try the thread, let me know. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 26, 2008 06:04PM

Well dissolving in either epoxy or Permagloss might lead to contamination issues.

Billy, care to elaborate on its possible use in crosswraps and weaves?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster