I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Wrap Problem
Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 03:07PM

I've been having a problem lately wrapping guides on the tips of rods. For some reason they seem to be coming loose - loose enough to cause the guide to slip until I have the other side tied on (these are snake guides). To get over the issue in the near term I've resorted to a cover of CP but is there a better way? I normally do 7-8 wraps of thread before I pull the thread through to finish. Is this the cause?
Any help is appreciated as always....

I should note that it's the guides at the tip end of the rod not the tip itself. I apologize for the confusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2008 06:45PM by Mark Pearson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Wrap Problem
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 25, 2008 03:25PM

Not sure if you mean wrapping the actual tip-top (which should be glued in place first) or a guide near the tip.

Please advise.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2008 03:36PM

For whatever reason, you're not getting any tension on your thread there. Guides won't "slip loose" under a thread that has even moderate tension.

It may be your wrapping technique and it may be your wrapping apparatus. Would need more information to figure out the problem.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: November 25, 2008 03:41PM

Mark;

It appears your wraps are not tight (tension consistant) enough on the thin section your working on. I've found that I have to use the rod supports as close as possible to the guide, and still have room to work. Otherwise the tip section will move up and down with your wraps, thus making the tension inconsistant. Seven or eight wraps before you pull the thread through is not the problem. I believe it's all in the tension. Even keeping the tension tight, I still use a coat of CP on the wraps as soon as I finish them.

Hope this helps

Harold

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 03:51PM

Mark , I would make sure the blank is supported on both sides of the guide being wrapped. If the little rubber bands aren't holding good enough you can tie down each guide foot with something like a twist tie and twist it on pretty tight. Don't take them off until they get in the way of wrapping. I only use 5 or 6 wraps over my tie off loop to hold the tag in place. Eight wraps is probably unnecessary but I wouldn't think thats causing the problem. Make sure you are wrapping with a good bit of tension, that could also be the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2008 03:53PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.88.162.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: November 25, 2008 06:53PM

After you wrap on a guide I would think you have to move them to align them. If they move with no pressure at all, they are wrapped tooo loose.
Also do a search of this site on guide prep. There is a picture on the photo page of a good prepped guide if you can find it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2008 07:14PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2008 07:16PM

Mark,
I am guessing that the reason that the guides are slipping is because the thread is too loose.
I am also guessing that the reason that the thread is too loose- if it is not loose on the rest of the guides, is that the blank is moving toward the tensioner as you wrap.
To overcome this problem, use a small rod rests, or roller rests which will capture the blank on both sides of the guide being wrapped.
With a fly rod near the tip, or an ice rod near the tip, the blank is very very flexible.
Unless, you have a solid support on the blank quite near the guide, the blank will bend under pressure and you will end up with a guide that is too loose.

--------------
A few months ago, I build some new roller supports that are cantilivered. i.e. the two lower rollers and the one top roller are on the ends of arms that are mounted so that the project forward from the vertical rest assembly.
The use of these roller supports has been a huge aid in working with light blank sections.
The rollers extend out from the vertical back mount, so that you can rest your hand directly under the rod supports for wrapping. It is much easier to wrap if you can get your hand under the rod, rather than having to work around a front mounted rod rest.

Here is a picture of the roller rests that I wrote about above:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 07:33PM

Roger I like It !! Where did you get those little wheels ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: November 25, 2008 07:55PM

here is another home made with wheels from home depot with bearings in them
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2008 09:33AM

On the twist tie type issue.....I use 12# mono for the smaller guides..... a uniknot pulled tight enough to hold the guide in place. If need be I will two of them. They do not get in the way of wrapping until the very end and a simple touch of the razor blade and its gone just like a rubber band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster