I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

?? for Billy - Test casting results
Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 12:09PM

Billy, I had some questions about the results of your test casting that you put up on Stripersonline. in the results it showed that the Concept setup was the shortest casting setup and the lowrider setup was the longest casting setup for spinning rods. I was wondering if I was actually reading the results correctly and if so, how is the low rider setup done? is it the same type of concept setup just with the stripper pushed out a little further and with a smaller ring? if so, what about going up one size to have it closer to the reel? I'm assuming there was no line slap (my primary concern with the low riders) with the smaller guide ring being placed farther from the reel but I can't seem to figure out how that would work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ?? for Billy - Test casting results
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2008 12:19PM

Teh results were accurate, based on teh rods that were built. TEh same person built the Dual Purpose/Low Rider rod, and the Concept rod which had Single frame Fuji Y guides. The Dual Purpose set up had a size 25 Fuji MN which was pretty far from teh reel, I honestly cannot tell you how the Concept set up was built, unfortuantely I didn't keep good notes.

Teh reults of something like this will always be skewed, as based on how each rod is built if somethign is not done properly, it wont' cast very well. I'm not saying that is the case here, but part of the reason I am re-doing this Test Casting event this Spring using Lamiglas GBS 1201M or the Super Surf of teh same model - is so I can accurately record every piece of data so teh comparisons are more useful to those who look at it.

Ther is no doubt the smaller guides cast extremely well, if placed properly....but I also feel that if the guide is not placed in the correct spot teh smaller guide set ups will not cast very well at all. I think that's an obvious statement though, lol. The best thing you can do is test cast several set ups, and watch how teh line reacts as it comes off teh spool and passes through the guides, and make adjustments based on that.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2008 12:25PM

Something to keep in mind any time anyone does such casting tests - the same individual blank must be used for all guide set-ups and tests, otherwise you aren't comparing apples to apples. There is enough variance in blanks, even of the exact same model, that you could have one that was better loaded by the casting weight than the others and in such close differences, could in fact be the thing that made the difference.

This may or may not have anything to do with the results Billy posted, but it is something to keep in mind if you want to eliminate as many outside influences as possible and keep the testing results based solely on the differences in the guide set ups themselves.

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: November 24, 2008 03:26PM

ok, thanks for the additional info Billy and the level setting Tom. i will get guides to try out both setups to see which way works best for the rod I've got and my casting style (re. lack of technique). should be a fun day (or two) test casting all the different setups.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2008 07:08PM

Never hesitate to use smaller than normal guides in any set up you use on a surf rod. Spinning or conventional. I was there for that particular test casing event. We didnt have a test casting robot, we didnt have tridentical blanks (tridentical is six of the same with a minus 2 factor)...but I'd venture to guess that 99% of those in attendence for this event, no longer use the giant guides currently availble on the market. Experiment, test cast, and find what works best for you....Its a sight and sound thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster