I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bending abalone
Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: November 22, 2008 11:18PM

Have the article and just received my abalone. Was just wondering how small of a diameter this stuff can be bent into? Will it work for a butt section on a small, say 6-10lb bass rod? Or is it pretty restricted to heavier saltwater applications?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bending abalone
Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2008 09:16AM

I have found that if I try to bend it around a rod any smaller then 1/2" it doesn't work for me. Scott

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: November 23, 2008 09:56AM

Phil,
You can bend it as tight as you want. When you use my method of bending it, the amount of soak time will depend on the circumference that you are looking for. If you are looking to bend it onto a larger blank (RT or stand up 50, 80 or larger) the directions outlined in the article will be fine. If you are looking to bend it onto a smaller blank, longer soak times are required.

What I would do is cut your piece (s) for the blank desired and then take a piece of scrap and soak it for 2 hours if using raw laminate and see how it works (WITHOUT REMOVING THE BACKING). If you have multiple pieces of scrap, soak one for 2 hours, one for 3 hours and that should cover your various soaks and give you a good idea how long to soak your good piece for. If using the thin lam, I would still soak it for the 3 days, but extend the boiling time to gurther loosen up the laminate and make it more pliable.

When allpying your veneer, if you do get a crack, don't stop, keep going. It will come out fine. Also, when applying it to small blanks, don't bite off more than you can chew! Bend small segments at a time and with some patience you will apply the entire piece.
Something to remember with the raw veneer is that the longer you soak the veneer, the more calcium you are removing from the shell and therefor the more color that will be removed from the shell.

Kevin Knox
Angler's Envy Costom Rods
kevin_a_knox@yahoo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2008 01:32PM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2008 11:22PM

Nice photos BTW.

Question- does abalone occur naturally in all those different colors or are those dyed or tinted somehow?

Date: November 24, 2008 07:25AM

Rod,
The aqua colored photo's are the natural colors. The blue green and red are the thin lam colors. Aqua Blue Maui has the ability to color the shell into over 400 different colors. What they do wit the thin lam is tint the front and back of the veneer and then sandwich the colors and the veneer between laminate in a proprietary process. They have the ability also to coat the back of the veneer in the unlaminated version calles "raw". That gives you a subtle coloring version.

Thanks for the kind words on the photo's. I spent a huge amount of time taking them for the article only to find out that my photo taking ability was less than stellar for print!!?!?!?!?
Kevin

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2008 08:03AM

The print medium is much more demanding that the internet. What looks good on a backlit computer or TV screen may look terribly grainy and coarse coming off a press onto a page where the light must move from eye to image and back to eye. The internet is a low resolution medium while the hard copy print world is a high resolution medium, at least if you expect things to look good.

These are some of things we hope to cover in a photography seminar at the Expo in February.

Date: November 24, 2008 09:04AM

And I will be sitting in the front of the class for that one! There is no sense in taking pictures that are poor quality. That comment wasnt meant to be anything against you, Tom, but a slight against myself....... It was a DUH moment for me!! It just showed me that to someone that didn't understand (ME) they look great. To someone that knows (YOU), they were sub par.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2008 12:29PM

I know, just mentioning the difference. I get a lot of photos from folks that would like to have them printed in the magazine and when I tell them that I can't use them I think they sometimes get the impression that I'm making an excuse for not allowing their photos to be published there. It's rarely that - I just can't some of the ones I've sent into the magazine. The high quality and fine line screen we use only exacerbates any deficiencies in the photos. I don't want to make anyone's work look bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster