I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A passing of the torch......
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 03:01PM

Good afternoon folks,

I have some very exciting news that I wanted to share with you. As of this afternoon Scott Parsons, owner of (Scott's Custom Rods & FishSticks) and I have come to an agreement whereby he has purchased the entire remaining portion of my business, Lamar Fishing Products. This will include the distribution of ThreadMaster, ChromaSeal, Ultimate Epoxy, Lamar Woodturning DVD's as well as several new products that we currently had in development.
Many of you already know Scott, as he is the individual that purchased the Exotic Cork portion of my business several months back. Those of you who have already been doing business with Scott, and his partner Karen Campbell know what quality individuals they are. I have no reservations about turning the business over to them, as Scott has been a loyal user of our products since day one, and is a very knowledgeable rodbuilder overall. I will be remaining on Scott's staff as a technical consultant for the foreseeable future so that the transition of ownership is as smooth and seamless as possible in terms of technical support and product knowledge.

I know many of you are probably wondering why I have decided to sell Lamar....well, as most of you know, my wife and I recently had a baby, so priorities have changed quite a bit for us. Earlier this year I had decided that this would be the last year that I devoted to this industry on a 24 hour a day basis. My lovely wife has taken a backseat to the growth of Lamar, and it's time that I shifted the priorities around.....especially now that I have a son as well. So, the simple answer is, that a good opportunity presented itself at the right time to sell Lamar to someone who has the resources and the drive to take the products to a new level of recognition in the industry. I have given 110% of my life to this business for over 14 years now, and it's time for me to move on to the next phase of my involvement in the angling industry. A change which I am very much looking forward to.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank all of you guys for making the last 14 years such an overwhelming success for me, my company, and my family. It has been a real joy to be able to make a full time living being involved in an industry that I have such a passion for. More importantly it has been an honor and a privilege to be able to make as many close friends as I have in this industry over the last decade. And fortunately the ride ain't over yet....I already have several projects lined up for 2009 and 2010 that will transcend the niche of custom rodbuilding, and focus on the saltwater angling industry as a whole.

For now though, it's time to be a Dad and a Husband. Thanks again for all you're support, and please welcome Scott and Karen as the new owners of Lamar Fishing Products.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2008 05:21PM by Andy Dear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A passing of the torch......
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 03:59PM

Andy best of luck to you and your family.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 04:07PM

Great luck and FIne days ahead for you Andy and family!

DR

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 04:18PM

Andy,

Wishing you and Emily and son a great future in whatever path you follow.

David Giberg

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 04:27PM

Best wishes for you and the family!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 05:25PM

Best of luck in the future, and Godspeed

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 06:15PM

Cheers Andy!

I'll miss your articles.

It's a lucky man that can make good family time and you deserve every minute.
I wish you & yours all the best!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fe.navy.mil)
Date: November 21, 2008 06:49PM

Andy-

Best wishes to you and your family. Miss calling you and talking for an hour about various All Star blanks and how many different actions I could get off of you!

Phil

Posted by: Jim Upton (98.112.212.---)
Date: November 21, 2008 07:05PM

Good luck Andy. I hope you get a chance to stop by and say hi now and then or drop an E-Mail this way.

Jim

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 07:15PM

ANDY AND FAMILY......DITTO IN TRIPLICATE ALL OF THE ABOVE AND WHAT WILL BE FOLLOWING.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 07:54PM

Andy,
Good luck to you and your family. I would like to think you for all that you have done for the rod builders and the rod building industry.
Keep in touch!

Lynn Williams

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 08:49PM

Does this mean that you will have more time to "pole your skiff " with me in it in the crystal clear waters of the Laguna Madre?

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 09:23PM

Send me a pic of your sons first fish if you get the chance....always a good Kodac moment no matter who it is. Family comes first.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 09:36PM

Andy, Congrats on the decision. I made a decision when my daughter was 6 months old (after spending 2 months home on disability) to get a job closer to home and increase the home time when she was awake. I know our relationship is better for it . Although she dont fish (not a lot anyway) we still have a great connection the has deep roots. This in my opinion is what makes the difference between good kids and great kids. What you did for rod building will always be remembered and I know Scott and Karen will serve well, they are a unique couple with drive and ability. Your family will grow stronger with the weight off your back. I will miss the seminars at the ICBRE (one of the best I ever attended was the detail one in Charlotte). Your priorities are in the right order, Enjoy your family, and you will enjoy your life.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 10:04PM

Karen and I just want to say how excited we are to be the pround new owners of The Lamar Line of Products. I hope we do it proud and treat it the way it needs and deserves to be treated. Thank you to everone for your continued support. We look forward to working with each and everyone of you. Thank you Scott and Karen

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 21, 2008 10:19PM

Can't think of anyone better to carry the torch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 11:28PM

Andy, Congrats on moving on and to be able to spend more time with the family.
Scott and Karen, congrats on your new endeavor.

Tony

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 09:59AM

Best wishes to Andy, Emily, and son, and also to Karen and Scott in their new venture!!

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2008 09:59AM by Sean Endres.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 01:56PM

Good Luck in whatever you do. My children are the greatest joy I have ever encountered, even greater than fly fishing, congratulations!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 02:56PM

Andy....
Come on now --- Name of the baby? Birth date? Wt? All that 'girlie stuff' . All the best to Emily and you. Notice you have assumed the "second position" until the boy actually asks dad to go fishing rather than being an excuse to go fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster