I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Push Pole?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 06:45PM

I've been thinking of making a push pole for getting around on the rivers here in VA. I dont carry a paddle on the boat, but do have 2 batterys and 2 motors. A push pole would be more "handy" than a paddle since the waters are so shallow.

Anyone ever built one? I was thinking of making one with a nice cork handle and maybe some wrappings or marbling? Anyone know of a blank for one?

DR.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Push Pole?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2008 07:04PM

There are specialty push poles made that will probably work much better than anything you might make from a scrap rod blank. However, you can always give it a try. Depending on how long you need it to be, an old surf rod blank might do okay for you.

Generally a handle on the end isn't needed because you use the entire pole as the handle as you "walk" your hands along the pole as you retrieve it.

Take a look on the Loomis site at their commercially available poles to get some idea of what's currently popular. You can always adapt something to suit your needs.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 07:24PM

Dr,
I agree with the previous post. i.e. there are likely better poles around - ready made.

I have a multi section aluminum push pole that expands and twists to lock at any length. It also has a boat hook at one end to aid in manuevering the boat around the dock.

I really enjoy the ability to telescope the push pole and think that it would be tough to duplicate such a thing in a rod blank style push pole.

A couple that are readily available:

[www.basspro.com]

Note: the use of a "duck foot" on the end of the pole helps to keep the pole from getting stuck in the mud.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 08:32PM

DR;
I agree with both Tom and roger. I have the $39.00 version from Bass Pro. It would be hard to accomplish the same for that little bit of money. The other convenience is that it collapses down to about 4 ft for when I am not using it

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 09:12PM

You could also you a telescoping pole like those used on tree pruners or for a pool cleaner. Find one someone who is throwing one out or at salvation army and you've saved a lot of $. You could use that until you are ready to invest more.

I know the pool cleaner poles at Lowes are about $15 and go about 4' to 12'.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 09:52PM

I have a telescoping Frabil lure retreiver that I have also installed a duck foot on. Since I am generally only in a few feet of water it works fine at onlly 5-6ft. in length.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2008 09:41AM

If you really want to "pole" then longer is better (up to a point anyway). This is where I see a problem with making your own because you're going to end up with something very heavy. So a commercially made graphite model is the best way to go. I don't think you can buy the blanks, and even if you could, in the world of push poles a "blank" and a "pole" are just about the same thing. The pole simply has one end capped and a metal spike or sand web installed in the other end.

But if you just want to push yourself off of rocks and stuff like that, any of the stuff mentioned above should work well.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 11:15AM

When I was full time guiding I made a push pole for my "bait boat", a 16 ft Jon with a 50 gal tank used for netting wild Shad in the shallow creeks and backwaters of Lake Norfork.
What works for me is a 10' section of 1" PVC pipe, capped at both ends, with an aluminum flag cleat on one end (the kind used to wrap line on that raises and lowers a flag on flag stand).
A couple of stainless screws to secure it, another screw for each end cap to remove if needed.
Has come in handy as a push pole, net retreaver, and even a crude paddle.
Cost less than $ 10.00, has been unbreakable, and over 15 years of dureable sitting outside in the boat.
Another plus is that even an electric troll motor seemed to alert the fish when in really shallow areas, the push pole is much more "stealthy", has allowed me to get close enough to throw a net even in clearer water on spooky baitfish.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.117.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 22, 2008 09:34PM

Alot of the folks down here that fish the extreme shallows use the Stiffy brand push poles but for a heck a of a lot less money you can make one out of 1 1/2" PVC w/ a cap on one end and a tee w/ short lengths (3-4") with caps on the ends. This push pole will float and is cheap. If storage is an issue you can always make it w/ male and female threaded coupling and have it in whatever lengths you can easily store.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster