I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Question For Rod Builders
Posted by: Backlash Tools (---.we.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 05:32PM

We at Backlash would like to ask rod builders a question:

What specialty rod building tool or tools would you buy if it was available?

Lynn Williams
Backlash Tools
[www.backlashtools.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question For Rod Builders
Posted by: Jan Veenema (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 05:48PM

A treadcarriage for the pac-bay wrapper that actual slides well and has a "quick-change" mechanism
(getting tired of fumbling with them wingnuts)

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: November 19, 2008 06:04PM

A Doc Ski weaving robot

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2008 06:44PM

I've always hated grinding and shaping guide feet. Although I've gotten good at it and have tools that make it as easy as possible, I'd pay a good money for an automatic guide foot grinder.

Such a thing is available for scissors and knives. Some have stationairy stones while others have oppossing, spinning stones. If the latter could be made for guide feet, with the stones properly set and shaped so that any size or shape guide foot would be quickly reduced to the same taper, shape, etc., you'd have a winner.

No doubt, this might be relatively expensive compared to most simple rod building tools, but the market might justify the required price. I think it would be a good sell. I've given it a lot of thought over the years but just haven't taken the time to tinker with designing one.

Posted by: Roy Zeringue (204.9.215.---)
Date: November 19, 2008 06:54PM

Glad you asked!

I'm new at this, but If a Rod Wrapper was available, similar to Pac Bay/American Tackle's power wrapper, that had a motor that was position adjustable so I could take up slack at the belt tension and a finishing motor with variable speed from 200 rpm down to 10 rpm or so (via a rheostat to allow for continous operation) and an indexed attachment for cross wraps. I would jump on it.

Roy

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 06:57PM

How about the little grinder for grinding dog toenails. I have seen it advertised on TV. That might be a starting place.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 07:00PM

I second Toms motion on inventing a tool for guide foot....I use a Dremel belt sander but the ideas Tom has sounds like the way to go.

I made a tool for finding degrees [for spiral wraps] that fits into the reel seat with a small hole in it for running line thru to static test which works but could use alot of yankee enginuety {spelling}.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 07:17PM

Jan. If your looking for a "quick- change" mechanism go to the photo page and go to page (4) and you will see the paper clips used instead of wing nuts.After I seen that photo,I purchased some and I use them on my thread carriage for the pac-bay.They work really neat. Also what kind of trouble are you having with the carriage not sliding well???<<<<DON>>>>

Posted by: Alfonso Uy (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 07:22PM

A tool for inletting EVA & cork for KDPS sizes 16 and 17.

Date: November 19, 2008 07:27PM

Alfonso,

That tool already exists and it's adjustable for a wide range of seat hoods. Try Black Dog Tackle to the left.

Posted by: Alfonso Uy (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:08PM

I can't find it in their catalog, Tom. I saw one called 'Cutter Grip Inletting Tool' that's sold by Mud Hole but the description does not mention if it can be used on EVA.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:50PM

Roy,
Look at the pulley wheel on the power wrapper you have and see if there are raised lines
dissecting the wheel into pie segments. Those are axis indicators for help in doing cross-wraps.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:52PM

I don't see it on Black Dog either Tom. I think the inletting tool from Mudhole is the one used to bore the inlet for fly seats in the back of a cork grip.

Now, tool wise, I think a holding jig for cutting the grip form in cork/EVA for the SBS, IPS and VSS seats would definitely be a good one. Also second the grinding tool for guide feet.
A lockable chuck for the Pac Bay/AmTak/Batson rod lathe, with indexing is another fancy want.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:55PM

I'm with Tom on this one automatic foot grinder

Date: November 19, 2008 09:45PM

Mud Hole doesn't have it and I was mistaken about Black Dog, sorry. Dan Craft is the one that carries it.

Posted by: Scott Gadsby (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 09:58PM

How about some mixing cups where the raised numbers and lines are actually on the outside of the cup?? This has been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time...

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 10:41PM

Scott I agree with you. That aggravates me more than anything i have on my bench. Mixing cups that are smooth on the inside, that's what I need. Find them for us Lynn !

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.189.---)
Date: November 19, 2008 10:43PM

If you mean the Crafty cutter, then Mudhole have it listed as well.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 11:34PM

Some type of guide alignment aid. That's the most frustrating part of a build for me. I can move one and throw three others out of whack.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 12:01AM

Chris
put the tip top on first, then go down the blank and align each guide with that. Just make sure the top is aligned correctly.

Scott
Use a shot glass. They can be washed out easy.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster