I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL Trout Rod Tactical Question
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 11:04AM

I recently built a Forecast F662-4 and a SP600 to be used as UL spinning rigs for trout. Over the holidays I am going to hit some local rivers and I want to get down low in the deep pools, specifically targeting the larger browns that most fisherman don't get down to. Does anybody have thought on what to use to get down that deep? Would 1/16 or 1/8 ounce jigs holding small crawfish immitations work? I know this is more of a "how to fish" and not a "how to build" question, but I will be using rods I built!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL Trout Rod Tactical Question
Date: November 19, 2008 11:55AM

A follow-up question - is a 3" senko too large for these fish? Do I need to stay down around 2" lures?

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:37PM

personally for browns in GA and surrounding states that I normally fish...I like the small 2 to 3inch plugs such as the rapala countdown..primarily black and gold, black and sliver colors.. the way the plug is designed you count to what over depth you want to be at..because it sinks at a rate 1 foot per second. I love these especially for the deep pools you speak of.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 03:41PM by David Teague.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:38PM

Check out Leland's Lures / Trout Magnet. They have jigs and float systems that work just awesome!! Lite line - 4# max - and 1/64 oz jigs. They have cool videos you can watch too.

Can't say enough good about their system of jig/float combo - and I use it for stream smallies, crappie, walleyes too - you name it!

Good Luck - Marc

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 01:28PM

Lelands Trout Magnet is great. Check out this story, I was the boat he turned to look at and one of three witnesses outside of his guide, My buddy had just hooked a nice rainbow on a lil cleo and I immediately afterward caught a 17 inch brown on a SJW. But I have had a lot of success with the trout magnet. [lelandslures.com]. Also I have found that large deep diving crank baits and 3 inch count down rapalas work extremely well on browns in deep pools. Also if they are fairly shallow 5-7 inch rattling rogues work great. Rather unconventional to tell someone to use a large bass plug for trout but "I promise you they work, or your money back". I fish the Little Red River where the world record brown was caught, we have plenty of large browns to try them on.

Date: November 19, 2008 02:19PM

What is an "SJW"? If the river is fairly fast moving, is it hard to get the crankbaits down quickly enough?

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: November 19, 2008 04:32PM

SJW = San Juan Worm

Walt

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 19, 2008 09:12PM

If you can also try fishing at night. A lot of larger trout feed into darkness, when there is less going on in the river. The suggestion to try bass size minnow plugs is a great one. Upsizing lures draws more attention from fish that can eat that size lure. Deeper diving minnow plugs will also get down in current quicker.

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2008 07:38AM

Thanks Walt, The crank baits usually get down fine, but I usually cast them at an angle from the boat down stream, basically that will mean the faster the current the deeper your plug goes. Teds right, I have always heard that at night was the best time to catch large browns. You could try something that glows and rattles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster