I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy clean up
Posted by: Peter Olesiewicz (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 11:46PM

I am a beginner and on a rod I recently did, there were a few places where I didn't realize I slipped with the epoxy. I know I should have used masking tape, but I thought I was doing a good job without it. Anyways, is there iny way to remove a few little epoxy spots (if you know what I am talking about) from the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy clean up
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:14AM

Epoxy adhesive or wrap finish??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 19, 2008 12:27AM

Sounds like wrap finish. If it has cured completely, you may be able to heat it to soften it a bit, then pop it off with your thumbnail, but that might also lift some of the finish.

Posted by: Peter Olesiewicz (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 07:19AM

Thanks. Sorry, yes it was wrap finish. Will heating mess up the blank?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:13AM

Gentle heat will not harm the blank. Fortunately, epoxy doesn't stick to smooth blank surfaces very well so you may well be able to pop it off with a fingernail.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 09:17AM

This "suggestion" is not directly related to this post but it is requested that those working with any adhesive and the new style fully exposed reel seats or two piece seats NOT utilize any solvent to clean the area in the "seat window" or around the ends of any two piece seats. Carelfully wipe all excess away from edges with paper towell or soft rag only.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 02:10PM

Bill,

Since I have oe of these coming soon from you, I'm guessig that the solivent will climb/run around the 2 parts and deter adheasion of them?

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:08PM

Bill,
I agree and also disagree with your post.
When working with epoxy it is difficult to not have a bit of overrun - especially if you do an excellent job of coating both the outside of the blank, as well as all of the inside of the reel seat.
Having said that - I do agree, that immediately upon glue up - while the glue is wet and semi viscous, the use of ONLY a rag or cloth is the right thing to do for clean up.

However, if that is all that one does, it is quite likely that the finish will have an "epoxy" sheen or coating in the areas where it has been wiped with the paper towel or cloth.
So, as the epoxy sets, but before it gets really hard, I go over the joints with Xylene to insure that all epoxy is off the blank and reel seat in all areas that it shouldn't be.

I do agree that if you use such a powerful cleaner while the epoxy is still viscous, the solvent will penetrate the joint and weaken it.
However, if you wait until it has set, but not set hard, the solvent will remove the excess, but not penetrate the joint.

As a result of the cleanup, you will see 0 signs of any epoxy anywhere on the blank and or reel seat. Also, there will be virtually no penetration of the solvent into the joint to weaken the joint.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 08:21PM

Good tips Roger!

I suspect maybe using a DAMP wipe down with a rag that is only damp with solivent would also do well.

DR

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: November 19, 2008 09:21PM

Yes, well pointed out Roger and DR. Now, something as strong as xylene isn't totally necessary. I dampen the rag with denatured alcohol and give a quick wipe. It's saturating the rag and spending too long in the area that causes penetration along the edge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster